Who is gonna go to UW-Madison?

sonwon

Who is gonna go to UW-Madison?

Post by sonwon » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:49 pm

Where will you live? and why?
what 's area of your research?
:D
And what do you thing about the winter, the city and etc.?

Helio

Re: Who is gonna go to UW-Madison?

Post by Helio » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:50 pm

One more here and i know at least one more person that is going

astroparticle with icecube or pierre auger

winter like home

and city.. really nice and good place for activities i like... biking and sailing (want to pick that up again)

misterme09

Post by misterme09 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:16 pm

I'll probably be going. Into the medical physics department though, not physics.

Not sure about living yet, what is the best way to get started on that process?

metric

Post by metric » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:02 pm

I must be the person that Helio mentions... I'll live in Eagle Heights, I've got an appartment there and, since I'm moving in with my family, I wanted to have a place from the start, I didn't want to wander around for weeks before getting a place to stay.

I'll be doing astroparticle as well, IceCube looks interesting. About the winter: It's going to be hard but I think that I'll get used to it, the town where I'm living now is not that warm either.

I also think that the faculty was good, the people were friendly and the overall working environment seems nice.

sonwon

Post by sonwon » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:36 pm

metric wrote:I must be the person that Helio mentions... I'll live in Eagle Heights, I've got an appartment there and, since I'm moving in with my family, I wanted to have a place from the start, I didn't want to wander around for weeks before getting a place to stay.

I'll be doing astroparticle as well, IceCube looks interesting. About the winter: It's going to be hard but I think that I'll get used to it, the town where I'm living now is not that warm either.

I also think that the faculty was good, the people were friendly and the overall working environment seems nice.
Do you have any place, that is near campus, not to expensive and safe for student, to recommend me who is int. student to live for my first year alone?

Helio

Post by Helio » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:47 pm

I don't know why you are so afraid of safety... it is the god damn midwest... it is not like southcentral LA...

Anyway, the grad students all told me to live at least 2.5 to 3 miles from campus due to undergrads, but not try to live too far away from it either. I would say you try craigslist first and then just google. i found a couple places bu googling. I am signing a lease this weekend when i finally find the time to

sonwon

Post by sonwon » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:03 pm

Helio wrote:I don't know why you are so afraid of safety... it is the god damn midwest... it is not like southcentral LA...

Anyway, the grad students all told me to live at least 2.5 to 3 miles from campus due to undergrads, but not try to live too far away from it either. I would say you try craigslist first and then just google. i found a couple places bu googling. I am signing a lease this weekend when i finally find the time to

I am just want to make sure about that bc of USA. If you told like that, I would be happy to live there.

About 2.5-3 miles, is that a bit far or normal for graduate student?

Thanks for info. anyway.

Helio

Post by Helio » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:38 pm

sonwon wrote:
Helio wrote:I don't know why you are so afraid of safety... it is the god damn midwest... it is not like southcentral LA...

I am just want to make sure about that bc of USA, if you told like that I would be happy to live there.

About 2.5-3 miles, is that a bit far or normal for graduate student?

Thanks for info. anyway.
Safety is something you should be less concerned about in smaller cities like madison (i remember penn state people saying there was no burglary in 15 years). this is not like TV or what you hear in the news, there should be less crazy people. well crazy in the sense of crime. i heard that madison is about on the level of berkeley when it comes to liberals. Yes i am ultra liberal but camping out in trees is not what i call valuable use of time or intelligence

normal... in LA i know grad students that travel 10+ miles one way everyday

aristotle

Post by aristotle » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:48 am

I decided on UW-Madison, they offered me a nice fellowship, and I'm going into Plasma.

I'm actually moving out this summer to do some research before school starts. I'm planning on subleasing a room this summer, then doing a real apartment search before the fall begins.

As for the city, Winters seem bad, but not horrible. I'm originally from south-eastern Idaho, which means similar temps, less humidity, more wind. Madison seems like a great place though, between the capitol and the university it's a very vibrant city with plenty to do.

I can let you know more later in the summer when I've been there for a while!