PSL paris astrophysics PhD or good US physics PhD?

centarsirius

PSL paris astrophysics PhD or good US physics PhD?

Post by centarsirius » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:30 am

I applied to many shcools and have so far received 2 US offers (Gorgia Tech and UConn), I only applied to one uni outside the US, to PSL Paris for their new astrophysics MS+Phd (2+3 years). My interests are in computational astrophysics.

- GaTech is one of my top choices and would happily go, but PSL Paris ranks far better globally, but I hadn't heard its name before applying. GaTech's US news ranking is 44, QS ranking is 88 while PSL's QS ranking is 26.

- PSL will offer 10k euros per year for 2 years and then according to the government's pay scale for PhD. Also close tie ups with a lot of labs and the Paris observatory

- GaTech would offer me 33k USD per year for up to 2.5 years and then increase it after thesis proposal. Have few friends there, so already know about the uni and area, also my top 3 PIs all are keen on mentoring me.

IDK whether to chase the American dream or a better ranked uni. Both places have what I want (res interests wise and life wise). ig PSL is near Louvre, so rent will bleed me to death but free healthcare won't push me into debt! I kinda wanna be in US after my PhD, because Idk if i'd continue in academia or switch to industry looking at the shrinking TT job market and abysmal postdoc salaries and in that sense, US provides a better market. But then idk anything about France and the European job market, so please advise. Thanks in advance!

PS- idk french, but they offer classes. Also the name of the degree doesn't matter to me, I'll be doing what I want anywhere

CosmicSans

Re: PSL paris astrophysics PhD or good US physics PhD?

Post by CosmicSans » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:17 pm

I'm in a similar situtation as you are, but as you stated that you want to stay in the US after your degree, I'd go to GaTech in your situation.

I think that graduating a school in the country you want to stay in will be more helpful than ranking alone unless the difference is huge