What should I do to be more competitive?

kkklivi

What should I do to be more competitive?

Post by kkklivi » Fri May 27, 2022 1:02 am

Hey guys, I am a senior student studying in japan now and are going to prepare my 23fall physics phd application. Well, things are a bit tough now and I really hope you guys can give me some advices. Thanks!
First of all, I am an international student, a female Chinese actually, and my school isn't well-known at all, not even in Japan. (it has a good reputation locally, just like some public state schools in America)
Secondly, I have no pubs, no solid research experiments--only two year physics experiment classes and one year research in cme (superconducting).
Also, I don't have strong LoR, but just from my profs. As far as I know, one of them have connections with a Japanese professor in Iowa State U, and my prof told me it would probably gonna work if I want to go to Iowa state.
By now, I got a overall gpa about 3.3 (not good again...) and maybe a little bit higher in my core classes( about 3.4 or 3.5 I guess?). I took toefl a few weeks ago and got 98, which is not good but enough. ( it indeed matches my gpa, lol) And I'm preparing my gre general, hopefully to get 320+.
Well, the thing is I'm actually not sure which school to choose... I mean, should I even think about reach some top schools??? or I'd better focus on some match schools and safetys??? Now I'm considering schools beyond top 40 actually and really don't know what to do next.
I really appreciate if you leave a comment here!