Need Suggestions on Schools for Hep-th

sjshuvo70

Need Suggestions on Schools for Hep-th

Post by sjshuvo70 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:32 pm

Hi, I need some suggestions regarding my choice of schools. I am an international applicant. My primary interest is in HEP-th. I am giving my profile and choice of schools below. It would be really helpful if you guys can give me some suggestions regarding these schools based on my profile.
GPA: 3.82

Research Experience: 1. Undergrad thesis (It was an open problem related to the matrix big bang model. Probably will be able to put it in arxiv by this week. Depends on my supervisors )

2. Currently working on a project related to the K-complexity of interactive systems and another one is on holography. (Can't reveal much. Sorry)

Research Interest: Hep-th (Strings, Ads/CFT, Holography), Quantum Information theory

I didn't sit for General GRE.

PGRE Score: 850 (Percentile: 72). I just received them today. I think this is not a good score and I doubt whether I should send it.

School Choices: CUNY, NYU, UAlbany, UBC, University of Washington, Stony Brook, UChicago.

Also please feel free to suggest to me some schools. Thank you.
Last edited by sjshuvo70 on Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

gaugeinvariance

Re: Need Suggestions on Schools for Hep-th

Post by gaugeinvariance » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:20 pm

sjshuvo70 wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:32 pm
Hi, I need some suggestions regarding my choice of schools. I am an international applicant. My primary interest is in HEP-th. I am giving my profile and choice of schools below. It would be really helpful if you guys can give me some suggestions regarding these schools based on my profile.
GPA: 3.82

Research Experience: 1. Undergrad thesis (It was an open problem related to the matrix big bang model. Probably will be able to put it in arxiv by this week. Depends on my supervisors )

2. Currently working on a project related to the K-complexity of interactive systems and another one is on holography. (Can't reveal much. Sorry)

Research Interest: Hep-th (Strings, Ads/CFT, Holography), Quantum Information theory

I didn't sit for General GRE.

PGRE Score: 850 (Percentile: 72). I just received them today. I think this is not a good score and I doubt whether I should send it.

School Choices: CUNY, NYU, UAlbany, UBC, University of Washington, Stony Brook, UChicago.

Also please free free to suggest to me some schools. Thank you.
Hi. I cannot comment on your profile since I do not know much about what you have been doing. But as far as I know, HEP-TH is really competitive that departments take only 1-2 students for several years. Aside from that, HEP-TH is really a "dead" field. Because there are currently no experiments that could help confirm those theories ... I know a lot of students who are interested in HEP-TH eventually go for HEP-EXP instead. Maybe you should also look for such an alternative pathway ...

By the way, you said that you received PGRE scores. I was surprised because I thought scores will be reported next week. When did you take your GRE exam?

sjshuvo70

Re: Need Suggestions on Schools for Hep-th

Post by sjshuvo70 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:56 am

I sat for my PGRE on October 23.