Syracuse

Machachad

Syracuse

Post by Machachad » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:17 pm

I got accepted from Syracuse. I've applied to other schools but rejected :cry: .
Is Syracuse a good school for physics research? Especially, in Quantum information.

Should I accept the offer or get a not-physics-related job?

coach_hockey

Re: Syracuse

Post by coach_hockey » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:18 pm

Hi Machachad,

A quick google search returns abundant results for Syracuse and Quantum Information..? They appear to have an active group.

I think, if you are genuinely interested in QI, Syracuse is an excellent option (as well as your only option). You should try to search up which faculty are involved in the group, and see if anything peaks you interest. There is no harm in reaching out to one of them or trying to meet with a current grad student or postdoc to hear their experiences.

On the other hand, if you cannot see this for yourself, and feel like you need to be convinced to continue in the path of research, maybe graduate school is not the right option for you. You can go and do quality work at almost any university if you seek out the right opportunities and apply yourself. If you think you need to hang your hat on an institution's prestige, and not what the people are doing or potential work, you are pursuing graduate school for the wrong reason, and are bound to waste your own time.

I'd think wisely about what you really feel passionate about and go from there. There are also many great opportunities in industry, and ways where you might feel more motivated to work.

Good luck!