What are my chances at these schools?

crowley

What are my chances at these schools?

Post by crowley » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:27 pm

Undergrad Institution: Small private school, good engineering rep, meh physics rep
Major(s): Astrophysics
Minor(s): Computer Science
GPA in Major: 3.62
Overall GPA: 3.63
Length of Degree: 4 Years
Position in Class: Top or near top of astrophysics class, but there's only 4 people so...
Type of Student: Domestic White Male

GRE Scores:
V: 162
Q: 159
A: 4

TOEFL: NA

Research Experience:
Worked at the USDA as a Summer Student for 3 Summers in high school.
3 semesters building a working python model of the light curves of magnetic variable stars. Presented an iPoster on this research at AAS237.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Deans list 2 semesters

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I'll be a grader for a sophomore level astronomy class next semester.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: I have a pet gecko, and I used an Arduino and Python to monitor and automate the temperature and humidity requirements in her tank. I mentioned this in my personal statement, but I'm not sure what points it'll get me.

Special Bonus Points: I'm half Jewish and have ADHD

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: My research advisor loves the work I've been doing, so I hope I got a stellar (haha) recommendation from her. I got an A in a graduate level quantum mechanics course, and I got a recommendation from that professor.

I'm applying with a focus on multi-messenger astrophysics, specifically neutrino astrophysics.

Applying to Where:

University of Maryland-College Park (top choice): [No response yet]
University of Wisconsin-Madison: [No response yet]
Johns Hopkins University: [No response yet]
University of Washington: [No response yet]
Penn State University: [No response yet]
Tufts University: [No response yet]

What do you guys think my chances are? Seeing all these 4.0s on here has my expectations low, but I'm hoping I at least get into one of these schools. UMD's program excites me the most, but I think I may have the lowest chance there.