Quantum Computing: UNM vs LSU vs WashU

jaziyad

Quantum Computing: UNM vs LSU vs WashU

Post by jaziyad » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:41 pm

Hello I am trying to choose a school and am interested in quantum computing theory in the physics department. I haven't decided whether or not I want to stay in academia so I would like the option to go into industry maybe at Google, IBM or a startup. Ideally I'd like the reputation/research to do postdocs at a top school. That being said I am interested in the foundations of quantum mechanics and would like to have some many body or condensed matter theory under my belt to understand the quantum to classical transition in physical systems and computing.

UNM has most of what I want at the Center for Quantum Information and Control but there is a noticeable lack of superconducting qubit research (would that matter for industry?) though they do study ion traps. I know Sergio Boixo from Google attended UNM and some graduates have gone on to IBM. Being from the SF Bay Area, Albuquerque seems somewhat isolated and inactive so I'm not sure if I could adjust to the culture there. That, and the fact that they gave me the least money are my main reservations.

LSU is mostly quantum optics and quantum information theory for quantum communication and photonic quantum computers (less startup opportunities?) but they also have complexity theory and are doing interesting collaborations with gravity theorist, and I could probably study condensed matter or many body on my own (is this viable?).

Lastly WashU in St Louis has a experimentalist doing quantum thermodynamics with superconducting qubits and I would be able to work as a theorist for the group but there is no quantum computing there. Would it be possible to get quantum computing experience in another way or is that a vain hope?'

I'd appreciate any advice you could give me.