The University of Tokyo

Captain Mushroom

The University of Tokyo

Post by Captain Mushroom » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:51 pm

Hi, folks.
I just took my subject test, and it was not as good as I expected. The expected score would be 850-920 depending on my luck :(. I am still applying for the MSc program of Utokyo with MEXT scholarship( I an attend even as self-founded, tuition is cheap though ). I noticed that there is not a lot of students from the USA applying for programs in Japan. I suppose that most applicants of these programs are top tier students from other parts of the world. What is going to be the competition look like for this program? I am anxious because the only per.son enrolled in this Forum got a full GPA and a full PGRE score. :oops:

My GPA is 3.4/4.0 currently with a few really bad looking grades on pure math classes and labs. I had two years of research experience in different subjects. I met with my potential instructor in August and he told me that he would take me if I pass the "committee selection". I know this is nothing guaranteed but necessary for the application.

ES

Re: The University of Tokyo

Post by ES » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:47 pm

I am not sure how hard UTokyo is but generally, getting into a Japanese university as an international student should be fairly easy. Since you got a professor willing to advise you, the process should be easy as long as you don't have red flags. You usually have to pass some sort of a test or interview "depending on the group you are going to apply to" and based on the test, they select the students. In my university "Nagoya University" you usually have an oral test about undergrad physics, UTokyo should be the same. As far as I know the selection process is usually made by the research group. at least this is the case in my university. So yeah, if you are international and willing to be self funded and already have someone willing to advice you, chances are you are gonna get in. Nothing is certain tho.

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:23 pm

Supervisor availability is key in getting in UTokyo, but looks like you applied for HEP which has a committee selection. So there is an additional screening, which might be an interview on certain dates.

Also, pGRE is seen as a cutoff criteria. If you get the OK from the supervisor but your pGRE is too low, the department may step in and block your admission. I do not think you need a 980 to get in, probably the cutoff is below 800 or below 900. Think of low scores that should not be in top 10 university (per QS rank by subject).

MEXT, there are two:

-embassy selection (more quota)
-university selection (probably only 1)

Either case, the process takes 1 year.

Tuition is not high, but the living expenses are.

Transportation (buses, trains) and Food can be expensive here.
Think of 10 dollars per meal and 2 dollars per bus/train ride to the nearest stop. Have a strong legs as you will walk a lot. Learn to cook.

Phone bills are also very high. About 80-100 dollars per month as 2-year contract. Unless you need it, stay with data-only SIMs.

Also, learn japanese. The most experienced professors are the ones you want to learn from, but language can be a hurdle to overcome.

Captain Mushroom

Post by Captain Mushroom » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:40 pm

Nishikata wrote:Supervisor availability is key in getting in UTokyo, but looks like you applied for HEP which has a committee selection. So there is an additional screening, which might be an interview on certain dates.

Also, pGRE is seen as a cutoff criteria. If you get the OK from the supervisor but your pGRE is too low, the department may step in and block your admission. I do not think you need a 980 to get in, probably the cutoff is below 800 or below 900. Think of low scores that should not be in top 10 university (per QS rank by subject).

MEXT, there are two:

-embassy selection (more quota)
-university selection (probably only 1)

Either case, the process takes 1 year.

Tuition is not high, but the living expenses are.

Transportation (buses, trains) and Food can be expensive here.
Think of 10 dollars per meal and 2 dollars per bus/train ride to the nearest stop. Have a strong legs as you will walk a lot. Learn to cook.

Phone bills are also very high. About 80-100 dollars per month as 2-year contract. Unless you need it, stay with data-only SIMs.

Also, learn japanese. The most experienced professors are the ones you want to learn from, but language can be a hurdle to overcome.
No, I am applying for experimental condensed matter. Hopefully the PGRE cutoff is not too hign. :(

mehson

Post by mehson » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:38 am

I am wondering when will the interview take place. Still no message from UTokyo yet.