Grad School Selection for Galaxies, Simulations

gimily

Grad School Selection for Galaxies, Simulations

Post by gimily » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:47 am

Tl;dr: Below is my application profile. I'm looking to research galaxy formation and evolution, with an interest in simulations. I'm having a tough time comparing the strengths of schools I've been accepted to, and gauging my chances to get into the schools I haven't heard from. A more indepth version of this is below my profile.

Undergrad Institution: Large Research Insitution, well known for physics, and CS
Major(s):physics, astophysics, computer science
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.85
Overall GPA: 3.65
Length of Degree: 4 years
Position in Class: IDK
Type of Student: male

GRE Scores :
Q:167 (91%)
V:163 (93%)
W:5.0 (92%)
P:700 (49%)

TOEFL: N/A

Research Experience: REU working on magnetohydrodynamics simulations. 2 semesters analyzing Gaia Data

Applied to Where:

CMU - Accepted (Intersted in Profs Matt walker, and Tiziana Di Mateo)
U of MN - Accepted (Interested in Profs Claudia Scalata, Lucy Fortson, Liliyia Williams)
Rutgers - Accepted (Interested in Carlton Pryor, John Hughes)
University of Victoria - Accepted (Interested in Julio Nararro, and Sara Ellison)

Michigan - Denied
Harvard - Denied
Washington Seattle - Denied
Penn State - Denied
UChicago - Denied

UMass - Waitlist

U Toronto
UCSD
Northwestern
UC Santa Cruz
UIUC
Rochester

As I mentioned at the top, I'm looking to study galaxies, potentially with an emphasis on simulations, or application of current CS fields like ML and data science. I'm having a tough time judging the relative strengths of the schools I was accepted to, and how they would compare to some of the schools I am still waiting to hear from. This is especcially true of UVic and CMU, UVic because they aren't as well known in the US, and don't get talked about on many ranking websites, and CMU because most of my understanding of their strength comes from my time looking at undergraduate CS programs which they are obviously very well known for. Any advice you all could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by gimily on Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

absoluterest

Re: Grad School Selection for Galaxies, Simulations

Post by absoluterest » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:05 am

Hey, it's great that you've shared your profile in detail but it's better to submit this on the main 2019 admissions thread so that everything is in one place. Here's the link: http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=145205

gimily

Post by gimily » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:47 am

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I will post there aswell, but my understanding was that that thread was mostly for sharing your results for others to use as a resource, as opposed to asking for information/advice. Is that incorrect? If not the reason I also posted here was to seek help in understanding the choices I have, which wouldn't really happen on that thread.

absoluterest

Post by absoluterest » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:37 pm

Oh, sure. I misunderstood that part. Sorry about that.

chris314

Post by chris314 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:40 pm

This isn’t my field so I can’t offer much help, but definitely keep the discussion here and not in the admissions result page. You were right to post here.