We can take PGRE multiple times and only use our best score?

ajstaunton

We can take PGRE multiple times and only use our best score?

Post by ajstaunton » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:51 pm

Hello

Until recently I was sure that we were allowed to take PGRE multiple times and we could use the score from only a single test (any sensible person would of course use their highest score!).
I have come to doubt this however after reading "Graduate Admissions Essays: Write Your Way into the Graduate School of Your Choice" by Donald Asher - where said that this was just a myth!! He says that all GRE scores are taken into consideration, not just the highest....
It wasn't clear if he was talking about the general GRE when he said this or if he meant subject specific....

Be grateful for clarity on this!

-Andrew

bfollinprm

Re: We can take PGRE multiple times and only use our best score?

Post by bfollinprm » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:45 pm

The test report rules changed recently. Nowadays, you can report (or not report) any specific score you want, and don't even have to report the same set of scores to each school.

quizivex

Re: We can take PGRE multiple times and only use our best score?

Post by quizivex » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:08 pm

Yeah, the new GRE score reporting policy called ScoreSelect was announced in April 2012 and made effective in July 2012. It applies to both the general and subject GRE's.

On Amazon it says the most recent 4th edition of the Graduate Admissions Essays book was itself released in July 2012... so I'm not sure writer would've found out about the policy change in time to get it into the book. And if you were reading an earlier edition, then the information was accurate at the time but not now.