expedited scoring

delsub

expedited scoring

Post by delsub » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:05 pm

Hi everyone.

I just took the basic gre yesterday and got a decent score (800 in Q and 620 in V).

i am also scheduled to take the subject gre physics on the 9th of october.

But the thing is I am applying for the january/spring intake of 2011.

Is there any way ETS can score my paper a bit sooner and not like a month or so later. Else it will become touch and go.

BTW, what is a decent subject score - 700?? I am applying to no top rank college - U. kansas, U. Alabama @ huntsville, U of south florida and New Mexico S.U. Is there any other relatively easy college you could recommend for a ms cum phd program in physics/astrophysics?

Please let me know what you think. Thank you very much.

geshi

Re: expedited scoring

Post by geshi » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:55 pm

I'm fairly certain you cannot expedite the process. 700 is a good enough score if you're a domestic student. An 800+ should be high enough for most programs in the country. With 700, you're pushing the lower bound of some of the more competitive programs (the programs you mentioned should be fine with 700).

I don't know what an "ms cum phd program" is, otherwise I'd try to help you there. I know Colorado State University has both a masters and a PhD in physics if that's what you're looking for.

delsub

Post by delsub » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:19 pm

thanks very much for the reply.

if not an expedited scoring can i at least have a expedited score reporting - like by phone or electronically as opposed to snail mail?

as for ms cum phd - i meant an ms course that'd lead to a phd in future, not a terminal ms.

geshi

Post by geshi » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:03 am

In terms of PhD vs MS, PhD is sort of the default in physics. I've heard the MS described as the "Booby Prize" in physics. Most schools with graduate physics have a full fledged PhD which you earn without earning a masters (although some programs will give you the masters along the way). Terminal MS is usually the harder degree in physics to find. (At least this is all my interpretation of degrees in physics. Anyone feel free to correct me.)

In terms of faster score reporting, I haven't heard of such things, but I'm not sure about that.

delsub

Post by delsub » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:28 am

i am going for a phd via ms

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:30 am

how fast a university receives your score depends on the university to some extends. if they receive scores from ETS electronically (through web) its fastest. I don't remember how long it was, maybe around 3 or 4 days, ets bulletin has the correct info.
but I think you are concerned for reporting general and subject scores together. you can ask the universities to review your application with a copy of your general test score and self report of subject test that you've got by phone until the scores become available and you report them and for the type of schools that you are applying which don't have serious cutoffs its plausible. by this I mean if you look at the top tiers schools, due to huge number of applicants, they don't review incomplete applications. but as you scroll down the top schools everything gets easier and they intend to work with you.

delsub

Post by delsub » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:54 pm

hey thanks very much for the reply and advice.

could you please name some real low/easy ms-leading-to phd programs??

i am not worried about my general gre scores - even by snail mail they should reach comfortably b4 the deadline for jan intake.

but the subject gre which i take on oct 9 - that score would be available by the first week of nov. thats to close for comfort. so even if there is no scheme for getting the paper scored early, i hope i can have the scores reported quickly (say by email or phone as opposed to snail mail).

are Canadian colleges tough to get into? do they accept gre/subject gre scores.