3 days????

Ennio

Re: 3 days????

Post by Ennio » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:38 am

Imperate wrote:I scored 830 (79th percentile), I kind of expected that as I only answered around 80-85, some of which were rushed in the last few minutes as time ticked out, I think I needed 900+ really, since I'm international and going for theoretical HEP, so bit dissappointed really (although could have been worse).

Not really sure where to apply to now, I have some UK schools as backups anyway, so there's always that, but I'm just wondering where (if anywhere?) I should apply in the US now. What places would take any international at this score? The rest of my record is pretty good, I have a publication, Masters degree, graduated top few in year etc so high GPA..
I scored 860 (83), and since I am an international interested in particle theory I kinda feel the same way as you do...
I know this is a long gone question, but will top 10 schools consider our scores acceptable?
It may happen that they have different standards for european students as we are. Anyone else's opinion on this?

sonwon

Post by sonwon » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:48 am

dmahler wrote:My registration number was on my admission ticket, but since you don't have that any more I would call ETS (I think they have a helpline listed on their website) if your confirmation number doesn't seem to be working.
-dm
Thnaks.
Finally, I score 800 (74). Before the test, I never got more than 700 in prep-exam.
What do you thing about that?
Is it possible for international student to apply for CME in the mid rank school like UCSD, UC0-Boulder, Marryland, UT-Austin or UC-Irvine?

dmahler

Post by dmahler » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:16 am

I am from Canada, so I probably am not the best person to be answering this, but I think 800 is a good score for the schools yo are looking at. Try using gradschoolshopper.com, some schools will list the average GRE score for last year's admission. This may be not entirely true, but I think since you are international, your score should be slightly above the average for you to have a good chance. Good luck!
-dm

Imperate

Post by Imperate » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:43 pm

Ennio wrote: I scored 860 (83), and since I am an international interested in particle theory I kinda feel the same way as you do...
I know this is a long gone question, but will top 10 schools consider our scores acceptable?
It may happen that they have different standards for european students as we are. Anyone else's opinion on this?
I hope so, I think there are going to be two factors that cause them to raise PGRE score requirement for international students 1) It is more expensive for them to take on an international student, thus they only want to do this if the international is of a higher standard than a domestic student they could get to fill the gap. If this is true then it obviousley applies to Europeans just as much as Asian/Indian students and we're screwed :) . 2) They put more emphasis on the PGRE for internationals since they have no way to gauge the quality of our undergraduate school, unlike a US college where the profs will know exactly how good that place is/what the programme entails etc. If this is the case I think it will work slightly in our favour (at least maybe the emphasis wont be raised too much), since European places are generally reasonably well respected to my knowledge.
So I think theyre the two things it boils down to.

One thing I wonder about is why funding an international student for a PhD is more expensive for a US gradschool, since they generally waive the tuition fees/give assistantships of the same vale, etc, anyway, so how are they losing money? maybe I'm missing something...

I think I will put in one top ten, just for the hell of it.

wade money

Post by wade money » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:32 pm

quizvex, how are you enjoying dallas so far?

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:14 pm

Haha good question, but the first year students didn't go to the conference since we don't have anything to contribute yet. Though all of our classes were canceled this week because there's pretty much nobody left. So I'm still here in 30-degree NJ, just got back from Denny's where I go about 5 times per week.

PoincareSection

Post by PoincareSection » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:24 pm

quizivex wrote:Haha good question, but the first year students didn't go to the conference since we don't have anything to contribute yet. Though all of our classes were canceled this week because there's pretty much nobody left. So I'm still here in 30-degree NJ, just got back from Denny's where I go about 5 times per week.
We have a Denny's in NJ?! :shock:

phatty

Post by phatty » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:54 pm

I don't get it either!
Why would it be more expensive to fund an int'l phd student vs. a local one. The source of the funding for private schools is usually from their massive hoards of cash and from beneficiaries so why would it matter who they give the funds to?

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:05 am

PoincareSection wrote:We have a Denny's in NJ?! :shock:
Lots of Denny-ies in NJ, one near you.

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:10 am

OH my GOSH, what I would give for a Denny's right now!!!

Helio

Post by Helio » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:53 am

secander2! wrote:OH my GOSH, what I would give for a Denny's right now!!!
Denny's?????? WTF go to the old pantry... LA insider thing sry

rohit

Post by rohit » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:35 am

Denny's indeed. :|