GRE Physics Subject Test - October score reporting

sonumnnit

GRE Physics Subject Test - October score reporting

Post by sonumnnit » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:08 am

Respected Members
I am new to this forum. Apologies if my question is cliche or naive.
I have applied for MS in US earlier and know that most Universities have deadline on 1st Dec . But the GRE Physics subject test held in October (28 Oct 17) will be available online on 27 Nov 2017.

Q1. Whats the process of reporting the Subject test score to Universities?
Q2. Will it hamper in any way with applications whose deadline are on 1st Dec?

TakeruK

Re: GRE Physics Subject Test - October score reporting

Post by TakeruK » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:10 pm

Q1: When you register for the test, you will be asked to provide the institutional codes for the schools you want to send the four free test scores. Check with these schools to see if there is a departmental code to use too. Almost all graduate program websites will tell you their code, or you can look it up on the ETS GRE website. The four schools you list here will automatically get sent the score reports when your scores are available.

If you want to send scores to more schools, once the scores are available online, you can log into your ETS account and order more score reports. Again, you need the institutional codes and you make the request online. You will pay for each report and the school will receive them.

Q2: There aren't many days between Nov 27 and Dec 1. In my experience, the school could receive the scores as quickly as 1 day but it could also take several days/one week. Luckily, most schools don't actually need the official score report on the deadline day. Here is my suggestion for all of your schools with deadlines around Dec 1 to Dec 8:

a. When you register for the test, choose these schools as the free score reports. Note that some schools don't even require official GRE score reports until you are accepted, so don't order score reports for schools that don't require it.
b. In October or November, contact these schools and let them know that your test date is 28 Oct and that your scores will be available online by 27 Nov. Ask them if it would be okay if you manually entered your scores into your application form when you get your scores on 27 Nov because the official report might come a few days after the deadline. Most schools are fine with this because unofficial scores are usually enough and/or they won't actually start reviewing profiles until well after the deadline, so if the score report comes Dec 4, it would be fine. But always check first.
c. When you get your online scores, enter them into your online application. Almost all applications ask you to just type in your scores in a box, even if they want an official score report. So, don't submit the application until you have this information.
d. Most applications also have a way for you to check on the status of things like transcripts, letters, score reports. Check in a few days after the deadline to ensure that the school received your GRE score. If not, email them to follow up.

sonumnnit

Re: GRE Physics Subject Test - October score reporting

Post by sonumnnit » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:30 am

Warm Regards
With this crisp reply you have cleared all the doubts . Heartfelt thanks for your advice