Please help question

ace

Please help question

Post by ace » Mon May 21, 2012 4:49 am

Michael is stranded on ice that is so slippery that he cannot walk. Recommend a way that he could get himself to nearby hard ground.

Please use methods relating to Newton's Third Law.

Thanks,
Ace

kangaroo

Re: Please help question

Post by kangaroo » Mon May 21, 2012 4:58 am

People who ask such questions without showing even a hint of a thought process should be banned from this forum.

ace

Post by ace » Mon May 21, 2012 5:49 am

I am not a uni student but a high schools student, so if you wouldn't mind, please enlighten me.

Ok, in all seriousness I just need one or a few examples.

Thanks,
ace

ace

Post by ace » Mon May 21, 2012 6:59 am

Please help me with my question above ^^

microacg

Post by microacg » Mon May 21, 2012 8:46 am

Do you see what it says in the banner at the top of this site? Who is this site intended for? Do you think it includes simple Newton's Third Law problems? XD

Is the guy on the ice holding anything?

BTW if you come back here again asking us to just do your HW for you you probably will get your account banned.

blighter

Post by blighter » Mon May 21, 2012 1:11 pm

Why do you guys have to be such uppity bitches?

kangaroo

Post by kangaroo » Mon May 21, 2012 9:20 pm

blighter wrote:Why do you guys have to be such uppity bitches?
The level of "uppity bitchiness" correlates directly to the level of spoon-feeding expected by the asker. Life is tough, deal with it.

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Tue May 22, 2012 3:39 am

ace wrote:Michael is stranded on ice that is so slippery that he cannot walk. Recommend a way that he could get himself to nearby hard ground.
Michael waits and waits. He can't think of anything. Eventually he waits too long and must relieve himself. Magically, he discovers that because of Newton's third law, his body gets pushed in a direction opposite to the one he's pissing in.

And by the way, they really shouldn't corrupt young minds with questions like this.

ace

Post by ace » Tue May 22, 2012 3:57 am

Thanks to the few guys which are a help on this site.

kangaroo

Post by kangaroo » Tue May 22, 2012 6:32 am

ace wrote:Thanks to the few guys which are a help on this site.
Trust me, the few guys who"helped" you by giving you answers did you more harm than good. Seriously, grow a spine, and show that you attempted to do your own work BEFORE asking for help.

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Tue May 22, 2012 10:37 am

There are plenty of places to get help on Physics homework, both in "real-life" and the Internet. However, this forums is not meant for that, and like others have said, just asking for the answer will not help you understand the material.

There are some online resources such as http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html. Hyperphysics is a pretty old site but a lot of the material are summarized into quick equations and explanation of concepts that could be helpful. In addition, your school may offer peer tutoring sessions for free or low cost, or you could consider hiring a private tutor if you think it is necessary. But before you do that, maybe discussing this with your classmates or teacher could be a faster and cheaper way!

mrrsnhtl

Post by mrrsnhtl » Wed May 23, 2012 6:54 pm

CarlBrannen wrote:
ace wrote:Michael is stranded on ice that is so slippery that he cannot walk. Recommend a way that he could get himself to nearby hard ground.
Michael waits and waits. He can't think of anything. Eventually he waits too long and must relieve himself. Magically, he discovers that because of Newton's third law, his body gets pushed in a direction opposite to the one he's pissing in.

And by the way, they really shouldn't corrupt young minds with questions like this.

Farting would do just fine, also..So ace, you have your answer. It seems there is no way but to rocket yourself by peeing or farting..

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Wed May 23, 2012 9:42 pm

mrrsnhtl wrote:It seems there is no way but to rocket yourself by peeing or farting..
If that's all the bodily fluids you can come up with you have an inactive imagination (at least as compared to my students).

microacg

Post by microacg » Wed May 23, 2012 9:46 pm

I'd like to think someone standing on ice isn't naked. Thus, bodily fluids won't be necessary.

mrrsnhtl

Post by mrrsnhtl » Thu May 24, 2012 2:15 pm

CarlBrannen wrote:
mrrsnhtl wrote:It seems there is no way but to rocket yourself by peeing or farting..
If that's all the bodily fluids you can come up with you have an inactive imagination (at least as compared to my students).
Well Carl, I'd like to suggest to break the ice and make my way beneath it, yet the man on the ice is obsessed with N3 law. What can I do? Also, farting is my personal philosophy with which I attach my soul to the cosmic consciousness..Stay away from my god you blasphemer! Hahah.

mrrsnhtl

Post by mrrsnhtl » Thu May 24, 2012 2:18 pm

Oh, maybe you meant another bodily fluid to work with..Maybe just pushing the air with your arms would be reasonable as well, assuming ice friction is small enough..

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Thu May 24, 2012 4:16 pm

Michael is stranded on ice that is so slippery that he cannot walk. Recommend a way that he could get himself to nearby hard ground.
mrrsnhtl wrote:Oh, maybe you meant another bodily fluid to work with..Maybe just pushing the air with your arms would be reasonable as well, assuming ice friction is small enough..
Michael is a male, presumably a physics major. Since there are no girls around to to satisfy his needs, he has lots of built-up sexual energy. The recoil from an ejaculation could easily get him to "hard" ground.

The answer above is clearly the only answer that the problem intended. They would not have unnecessarily given the person a name and used the qualifier "HARD" ground if they wanted one of your alternative solutions :wink:

negru

Post by negru » Thu May 24, 2012 4:22 pm

blow air
spit
take dump throw poo
get gravitationally pulled by inhomogeneous surroundings
radiation pressure

many options

ace

Post by ace » Sat May 26, 2012 8:53 am

haha thanks guys for those answers. also thanks to the person who gave me a link to hyperphysics. TY XDXD

sphy

Post by sphy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:32 am

mrrsnhtl wrote:
CarlBrannen wrote:

Farting would do just fine, also..So ace, you have your answer. It seems there is no way but to rocket yourself by peeing or farting..
i think nasa and these ship companies should use both of you as a superior alternative to send things horizontally and vertically to far to save millions of bucks.