Quantum Preparations

doom

Quantum Preparations

Post by doom » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:47 pm

I'm getting ready to take the GRE in November, and I'm trying to teach myself at least a little bit of the quantum that we haven't reached in class yet. I'm using Griffiths, and we've covered the first two chapters.

What specific topics should I look at? (keeping in mind I'm just trying to learn as much as I can in the next two weeks.)

Any advice would be appreciated.

bgreman

Post by bgreman » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:53 pm

Based on the practice review I looked over last night, it seemed there was a good deal of stuff on the quantum formalism presented in chapter 3. Our instructor has been doing a good job with kind of previewing that stuff, even though we haven't gotten there yet.

kyros

Post by kyros » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:35 am

From what I've seen of the practice text you need chapters 1 to 5, and the first few sections of 6(plus god knows what else that they randomly pick out of the rest of the book - I've seen the odd question from the later chapters, but the majority of the material can be found in the first 6). Most notably, the sections in chapter 4 on the hydrogen atom and spin systems. The systems most commonly in the practice tests were the infinite well, the harmonic oscillator and the hydrogen atom - so make sure you know those three. Taking it in a few weeks though, so who knows whats on it :p

-Goodluck