Books for Specific topics

Hoboraj

Books for Specific topics

Post by Hoboraj » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:03 pm

First time posting here, but seeing all the good advice here, i might as well give this a shot.

There are a couple of broad topics on the GRE which I am not very familiar with and need to learn and practice.

Atomic Physics: (eg selection rules, black body radiation, xrays, etc.)
Speacial Topics: (eg: Nuclear/particle physics, radioactive decay, fission/fusion, condensed matter, astrophyisics)

Though i have studied topics which definitely have overlap with the ones above, its obviously not enough for the GRE. I was wondering if anyone knew of any textbooks (modern would be helpful) and practice problem sets that cover any of the topics mentioned above.

I am thinking about picking up some basic books on atomic physics and particle physics and i have a condensed matter course this coming semester, but any links for books/info on (say basic astrophysics like resolving stars, etc) above topics would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

physics ferret

Post by physics ferret » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:31 am

just about any textbook on modern physics will be good. i used tipler and llewellyn, but you can search for "modern physics" on amazon.com and see which books people liked the best.

urkel

laboratory methods

Post by urkel » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:49 pm

Hi,
I'm a newcomer in this forum and am preparing for GRE physics too.
Anyone has idea any good textbook to read for the laboratory methods questions (data and error analysis, electronic instrumentation, radiation detection, statistic, etc)?
I wonder if there is any good standard book on this, I definitely did take many lab experiment courses but a reference book for them????

regards,