How much should I study?

jcain6

How much should I study?

Post by jcain6 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:24 am

I plan to take the physics GRE in November or December of 2005 during which I will also be wrapping up my last semester as an undergraduate. I wanted some advice on whether or not I should take a semester off to study for the test, or, should I go ahead and take it during my last semester in school.

I will be taking the following classes: Stat and Thermal, Quantum, Astrophysics in the semester mentioned above.

2 of the 3 will be on the test and I a pretty sure that I will have time during the Fall semester to review the fundamentals of all my courses. Also I work for a college tutoring Calculus based Physics and get quite a review daily (I am the only physics tutor there).

If I take a semester off, I will not be able to start a grad program until spring 2007. If I take it in November I can start a grad program Fall of 2006.

Any advice?

jdexter

Post by jdexter » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:27 pm

I am facing a very similar situation right now. I am currently in my last semester, and I chose to take the test this semester while I am still dealing with introductory physics daily through tutoring as well as still taking upper level classes. I don't know what type of person you are, but just trying to study extensively for about a month has been draining for me--there is just too much stuff, and my practice test scores really haven't changed much.

So especially if you'd rather not take a year off before going to grad school, I would say go ahead and take the test in November. I would guess that anything you could improve on by focusing on the test for a semester would be lost by not being in a position where you're doing physics every day.

After I get my GRE score, I'll let you know how I feel about my decision!

jcain6

Post by jcain6 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:39 am

Thanks for the response! Good luck on the test.

Cheers,

Jericho