What do you guys think of this book "3,000 Solved Probl

Jia

What do you guys think of this book "3,000 Solved Probl

Post by Jia » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:30 am

I got myself one today.
I was told that it is good for preparing physics sub.
Has anyone used this book? Any suggestions?
Last edited by Jia on Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

graviton

Post by graviton » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:47 pm

I've got that one and think it is pretty good for what it purports to be. Definately a good memory jogger for those 1st and 2nd yr problems that you're embarassed to not be able to remember.

seba240698

Post by seba240698 » Wed May 02, 2007 9:45 am

This book I also used it for preparation of my GRE.

But only for the start, the problems are too easy compared to GRE sandard.

Also, it doesn't have quantum mechanics and particle physics (or rather the topics covered in particle physics are too shallow).

I think it is good in the sense that the questions are arranged ibased on topics, and form easy to difficult. It is good for refreshing your college physics.

However, you need a more in-depth book than this one if you are preparing for GRE.

twistor

Post by twistor » Wed May 02, 2007 12:30 pm

If you're talking about the REA book, I plan to go through the whole thing in preparation for the GRE's, and then some.

I basically think of it as a review of basic physics concepts, since the GRE problems are really nothing like it.

twistor

Post by twistor » Sun May 06, 2007 11:01 pm

There seems to be a lot of consensus that you should stay away from "the purple book"

Jia

Post by Jia » Mon May 07, 2007 12:14 am

I was talking about 3000 Solved Problems in Physics
I've been working on it for days and I have to say I agree with graviton and seba240698, that this book indeed is a very useful reminder of your college physics, which are probably forgotten by you. Also it is not enough for GRE Physics.

twistor

Post by twistor » Mon May 07, 2007 10:19 am

Hmm.. I thought you were referring to a different book. I'm using one of the REA books, but based on the amazon.com description the formats seem similar. Start with easy questions, then make them increasingly difficult. I find it's very helpful in reviewing elementary physics concepts, and in helping me memorize constants (like G, the universal gravitational constant) that I haven't used since I took lower level courses. My hope is to go through whole book by the end of the summer.

But like you said, it's necessary to help you study for the GRE but by no means sufficient.

thecup

Post by thecup » Thu May 10, 2007 10:09 am

Watch out for the purple book, it covers tons of stuff and it gets you into the habit of being careful and working through each problem. This is not at all like the GRE. I spent last summer using the book and I progressively took each of the 4 available practice exams. I found that as I went through the purple book, I understood more, yet the last practice test I took I actually did worse!

In retrospect, I realize that I understood more physics, but I was taking longer on the actual test. If you know a little bit about every question, you'll attempt to actually complete each question thoroughly, however, it simply takes too long. If you do use the purple book, before the test go over the actual exams. The actual GRE exam tests speed as much as it tests understanding. Look for limiting cases etc. The purple book will have you doing unreasonable calculations and you'll get used to it. The problem is that doesn't represent the GRE. You may understand more physics, but it could hurt you if you're not careful. Whatever you do, definately hunt around online to get the practice tests.