Group preparation for PGRE in October

Aikya1

Group preparation for PGRE in October

Post by Aikya1 » Mon May 23, 2016 3:10 pm

Hi,
Now that April PGRE is over, it is time to prepare for those who are going to take the October exam.
Study groups will be helpful for the preparation, to keep one regular.

If anybody has started a group, I would very much like to be a part of the same.

bharat1234

Re: Group preparation for PGRE in October

Post by bharat1234 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:21 am

I have just started to prepare for the September. I heard that October exam is harder that the September one.
Let us start preparing together.
you can email me on bharatpoudel3@gmail.com
I am a average guy on physics.

Aikya1

Post by Aikya1 » Tue May 24, 2016 2:23 pm

I believe that there will be only 1 date per country. (eg 29 October in all centers India).
The centers will be updated in July.
So I guess, I have no choice on that front, but to select the date available at my location.

I graduated from Computer Science, so I need to revisit physics.
Lets start preparing

mohammedzidane

Post by mohammedzidane » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:47 pm

Hi,
I read your posts and I need help for this situation,
I am majoring in biochemistry and intending to shift my speciality to theoretical physics.

I have already started working on Halliday & Resnick but I need to practice a lot to be able to get high score in the exam and the five exams are not enough for practicing,

Any suggestions for books that contain many problems like those in the actual GRE exam? Because I am not familiar with physics books and I got confused when I searched on the internet and unfortunately I have no time. My exam is in the next September.

And of course, if it is possible, I would like to join your study group.

Aikya1

Post by Aikya1 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:00 am

Hello mohammedzidane,

I have not taken the PGRE anytime before, so cannot say which book has practice problems that reflect the level of difficulty in PGRE.
Conquering the Physics GRE is a book that explains exactly the situations what you might encounter in the test. Many of my friends have recommended me that book
The book focuses specifically on the TYPE OF PROBLEMS that the test will throw at you.
Mind you, it has 4 to 7 questions at max for each topic, which is not enough practice for the test, especially not, if you are from a non-Physics background.

I have another book: Sterling Physics GRE practice questions that has only practice questions and their solutions (60 of each topic). It has 12 practice test papers.

I use Halliday-Resnick as a book for re-introducing me the Physics topics that I had studied in my 11th and 12th class (I also bought my 11th and 12th Class textbooks for simpler problems).

As far as the study group goes, I am new to it and actually haven't done this before. Lets start to plan. Bharat1234 (in this thread ) also is preparing besides us. Although, both of you are planning on taking the test this September, but I will be giving the one in October.

All the best

mohammedzidane

Post by mohammedzidane » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:51 am

Thanks Aikya1, this information is great

Regarding the study group, do you contact on the forum or by email because I see Bharat1234 posted his email.
For my plan, I am skimming Halliday & Resnick to finish it at the end of this month and then I will start practicing for the exam using the books you mentioned and REA preparation.

I think posting our personal plans will open the doors to reach the best preparation for the exam.