speed tips

shokan

speed tips

Post by shokan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:00 pm

So I will be writing the test next weekend. The prep has been alright so far but I still tend to struggle with the time. Was wondering if anyone had some tips on improving speed on the PGRE.

randomnick7

Re: speed tips

Post by randomnick7 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:02 pm

Work as fast as you can and don't get stuck in any problem, if you don't have any idea how to solve a problem or the calculations you're doing are getting cumbersome (going in the wrong way) just skip it, by doing that you will have plenty of time at the end to work on the harder ones. If you are fast I think 2 hours is enough to go through all the test (skipping), of course you must be able to gauge which problems skip and that only can be trained with old tests in exam conditions.

quizivex

Re: speed tips

Post by quizivex » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Well, if you can somehow improve your speed at solving problems with practice, that'd be great. Though that's easier said than done. In the meantime, I think the easiest way to deal with the time problem on the PGRE is when you read each problem, decide beforehand which ones are likely to take a long time, and skip them without even starting them. Questions that seem to involve a lot of calculations, or questions that focus on your weak spots, just skip them. Doesn't even matter if you skip a third of them or more because you can get back to them later once you get past question 100. Be careful if you skip around not to screw up marking the scantron answer sheet.