venues on the 13 October and 10 November 2012

ajstaunton

venues on the 13 October and 10 November 2012

Post by ajstaunton » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:30 pm

Hello

I have been hoping to take the PGRE on either 13October or 10November 2012 in the UK. I have just learned however that there is only one test venue for these dates in England - Kent! and there are no seats available. (I have also checked Scotland and the one venue there - Glasgow is also full).

Can some1 please advise if I have any chance of taking the PGRE in the UK for these dates or will I have to go abroad.... Which may not be economically viable for me :( (The next nearest venues are in France).

All feedback appreciated.. .

Lavabug

Re: venues on the 13 October and 10 November 2012

Post by Lavabug » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:02 am

ajstaunton wrote:Hello

I have been hoping to take the PGRE on either 13October or 10November 2012 in the UK. I have just learned however that there is only one test venue for these dates in England - Kent! and there are no seats available. (I have also checked Scotland and the one venue there - Glasgow is also full).

Can some1 please advise if I have any chance of taking the PGRE in the UK for these dates or will I have to go abroad.... Which may not be economically viable for me :( (The next nearest venues are in France).

All feedback appreciated.. .
Hey,
The October seats at Kent filled up in less than 3 weeks since they opened registrations, I was forced to register for the November exam. For a while both dates said "no seats available" then for a brief period switched to "limited seats available". A few may have canceled or ETS might've tried to squeeze in a few more students. I'd keep my eyes peeled and check daily, or even call ETS and ask if there are any seats left.

If not then I guess taking it abroad is the only option.

In 2011 or 2010 there was a venue in London for the PGRE (some international school I think). Perhaps they'll add an additional testing site before October if the demand is high enough (should be, all seats were taken in early August) but I wouldn't wait too long before registering for the test in France or wherever. If London gets a venue you could just cancel the exam in France and take it in London (although you'll lose 50% of the registration cost, but it's probably cheaper than flying to and staying a night in France :)).

Really I don't know what ETS was smoking when they decided that one GRE subject testing site in England was a good idea.

ajstaunton

Post by ajstaunton » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Thanks for the advice, I probably will register for the French one...
I can't believe that it is so difficult to book a Subject exam for the GRE - Something must be done!

Deanodirector

Post by Deanodirector » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:38 pm

Hi,

I have the same problem. The General is available almost everyday in the UK but I was completely thrown when I found out the subject tests have only two sittings and were fully booked!

The GRE seems like such a rip-off already and when you factor in travel to Paris, fees for applying to US uni's and fees for ETS sending your fees, I'm close to deciding not to go to the US anymore!