GRE subject exam book

t3chn0n3rd

GRE subject exam book

Post by t3chn0n3rd » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:26 pm

Does anyone know of any good GRE SUBJECT EXAM books?

I was hoping for not only problems but , explanation of concepts.

kroner

Re: GRE subject exam book

Post by kroner » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:07 pm

Apparently there was a book that is not very good and is no longer printed.

If you have textbooks on any of the topics that's probably the best. Otherwise, I found wikipedia to be really helpful and for more detailed explanations googling often turned up good lecture notes.

You can find decent explanations for all the problems in the 4 sample exams at http://grephysics.net, although I would recommend that you budget your use of those exams carefully. Once you've taken a sample exam once, its diagnostic value is severely diminished.

adrphys

Post by adrphys » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:53 pm

go to colleges or university bookstores, don't waste your time in any regular bookstore, they have all the GREs but the physic one, I've spent a lot of time looking for that book and nothing.

delsub

Post by delsub » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:10 pm

i have the so called 403 page purple book - is that overkill for the subject gre phys?

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:59 am

delsub wrote:i have the so called 403 page purple book - is that overkill for the subject gre phys?
The lousiness of the purple book has been discussed often on this forum. Do some keyword searches on "purple book" and "REA", and you should find all you need to know.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:22 am

delsub wrote:i have the so called 403 page purple book - is that overkill for the subject gre phys?
I would say its no kill. Outdated patterns, too complicated calculations involved, some of which are pretty difficult to be solved without a calculator, also the options are so close values, that you can't even approximate. If you have a soft copy, don't waste digital space on your hard drive, if a hardcopy then brainwash a liberal arts student and sell it to him :P

delsub

Post by delsub » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:40 pm

ok point taken. so what would be a good book to rely on?

or is there no one book?

does barrons or peterson's publish a subject gre physics book??

btw, the people who studied for the sub gre phys from the purple book - did all of you botch up your tests??

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:42 am

delsub wrote:ok point taken. so what would be a good book to rely on?

or is there no one book?

does barrons or peterson's publish a subject gre physics book??

btw, the people who studied for the sub gre phys from the purple book - did all of you botch up your tests??
Studying from the text is I think the best option. QM and EM-Griffiths, Classical Mech-Marion and thornton and modern physcs-Beiser and rest from resnick and some adv topics from wikipedia, and then solve the 4 tests.

stephanie60

Post by stephanie60 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:43 am

This might be dated, but in 2004 I used Everything You Need to Know to Score High-GRE Psychology-3rd edition by Sidney Raphael, Ph.D and L.H Halpert Ph.D. It easier than searching through huge intro to psych text books cause it highlights important aspects, is divided into well organized sections (abnormal, perception, history, learning, experimental, etc), and contains 2 sample tests.

midwestphysics

Post by midwestphysics » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:27 am

stephanie60 wrote:This might be dated, but in 2004 I used Everything You Need to Know to Score High-GRE Psychology-3rd edition by Sidney Raphael, Ph.D and L.H Halpert Ph.D. It easier than searching through huge intro to psych text books cause it highlights important aspects, is divided into well organized sections (abnormal, perception, history, learning, experimental, etc), and contains 2 sample tests.
Yeah, study that Psychology book, you'll be a sure thing to ace the Physics GRE..... Wow, just wow.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:23 pm

midwestphysics wrote:Yeah, study that Psychology book, you'll be a sure thing to ace the Physics GRE..... Wow, just wow.
I read her post 5 times thinking I must have been missing something.

My conclusion is that she's doing a psych experiment on us.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:17 pm

Schaum's 3000 solved problems in physics is a good place to go for extra problems. It's like a condensed H&R, the default intro textbook until somebody writes H&R (and Zombies).

evelyn512

Post by evelyn512 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:10 am

f you're a current or very recent undergrad, there will be some/many areas that are fresh in your mind since you took a class in them not that long ago. for those areas, definatel focuson the gre prep guides the most. it's a M/C test, so monce you have the concepts and timeline down, names are so important. but if there's an area where you haven't taken a class, or feel a little rough, i'd say any good intro text would be fine, coupled with the study guide and/or gre prep text. i used glietman, and it was good, except not as focused on names and dates as i would have liked. paired with the study guide and onlien materials, it was fine.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:30 am

physics and psychology are different tests, dude. This is the second time this has happened...what's up?