please help

ajdar

please help

Post by ajdar » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:55 pm

hello.
dose anyone have halliday,resnik,krane and it's solutions manual?
please help.

cato88

Re: please help

Post by cato88 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:58 pm

Try a torrent site

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:02 pm

ajdar, I deleted your other thread. DO NOT post your question repeatedly.

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:05 pm

cato88 wrote:Try a torrent site
Or they could, y'know, solve the problems then check to see if orders of magnitude and units and things like that work out.

cato88

Post by cato88 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:02 pm

coreycwgriffin wrote:
Or they could, y'know, solve the problems then check to see if orders of magnitude and units and things like that work out.
What the point of become self-righteous. I dont understand the deal with always being on edge suspecting peoples intentions. I hated TA's like that who would mark you down on stupid things as if they were trying to prove their smarter than their undergrads by grading. I dont know why he wants it. Im assuming for self-study in which case the exact solutions are valuable for learning.

nathan12343

Post by nathan12343 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:26 pm

ajdar wrote:hello.
dose anyone have halliday,resnik,krane and it's solutions manual?
please help.
So this took literally 3 seconds of googling to find...

http://rs94.rapidshare.com/files/102574 ... _Vol.1.PDF

I think you get the idea.

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:44 pm

cato88 wrote:
coreycwgriffin wrote:
What the point of become self-righteous. I dont understand the deal with always being on edge suspecting peoples intentions. I hated TA's like that who would mark you down on stupid things as if they were trying to prove their smarter than their undergrads by grading. I dont know why he wants it. Im assuming for self-study in which case the exact solutions are valuable for learning.
There's a difference between answers and solutions. If he just wanted the answers, almost all texts have odd answers in the back. That should be more than good enough for self studying. That way you actually work through the solution, instead of looking at it and retaining nothing.

Asking for instructor's solution manuals is just begging for an academic dishonesty violation, in my eyes. Sorry I find it hard to trust someone who stumbles upon a forum of aspiring physicists and their first post is for a common first-year physics textbook's solution manual.

cato88

Post by cato88 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:52 pm

coreycwgriffin wrote: There's a difference between answers and solutions. If he just wanted the answers, almost all texts have odd answers in the back. That should be more than good enough for self studying. That way you actually work through the solution, instead of looking at it and retaining nothing.

Asking for instructor's solution manuals is just begging for an academic dishonesty violation, in my eyes. Sorry I find it hard to trust someone who stumbles upon a forum of aspiring physicists and their first post is for a common first-year physics textbook's solution manual.
a) Sometimes the answers dont cut it if youre self studying. Learning
physics is about how you got the answers and if youre self-studying
a few more problems to help demonstrates concepts helps.
b) About 60 problems max in the end of a section only odds
have answers so that gives OP 15 verifiable practice problems.
Physics is so much about solving problems that 15 practice problems isnt going to
cut if youre really trying to engrain the material.
c) I realize I cant stop him if he is trying to be dishonest and its not
my job to doubt his intentions and be the academic police.

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:56 pm

If you really need to see the full solutions to physics problems, there are other options out there (http://www.amazon.com/000-Solved-Proble ... 0070257345)

cato88

Post by cato88 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:08 pm

If he is not self-studying and hes in a class that is not using H&R then buying an old edition of H&R with the solutions would be cheaper and more relevant. The 3000 solved problems isnt terribly great because too many of the problems in it are exactly the same with just different parameters. It has too much redundancy.

he should try
http://www.amazon.com/Solve-Physics-Pro ... 423&sr=8-8

or if hes looking for a challenge

http://www.amazon.com/Physics-Example-2 ... 423&sr=8-2

However all of these books dont give him explanations of the concepts and problems and solutions in one logical package like just buying H&R with solutions manual.