Are These Books Enough?

alwayslearning23

Are These Books Enough?

Post by alwayslearning23 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:22 pm

Hello,

I am considering taking the PGRE this September and October. I graduated with my Bachelor's three years ago, so my knowledge is quite rusty. I have a strong foundation in what I consider basics (intro level courses at the undergraduate level), but am seriously lacking in everything afterwards. I have the following books and was wondering if they were good enough to be adequately prepared and achieve a score in the 900s. If you think I'm missing a book or have a book that is not necessary please let me know in the comments! Thank you.

1. Serway and Jewett's Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics 9th Ed.

2. Tipler and Lewellyn's Modern Physics 6th Ed.

3. Taylor's Classical Mechanics 2nd Ed.

4. Griffith's Introduction to Electrodynamics 4th Ed.

5. Griffith's Introduction to Quantum Mechanics 2nd Ed.

6. Taylor's An Introduction to Error Analysis 2nd Ed.

7. Kahn's Conquering the Physics GRE 3rd Ed.

occamsshaver12

Re: Are These Books Enough?

Post by occamsshaver12 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:33 pm

These books seem good. But I will also like to suggest that you should take some tests from Kahn and work out the chapter problems. Then get an idea which subject/topics you are still good at, which needs practice and which you are bad at. Then go from there. You don't need a book for error analysis, that is overkill. I don't know about needing to read two different modern physics books, choose one and stick to it.

geekusprimus

Re: Are These Books Enough?

Post by geekusprimus » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:52 pm

You're missing a book on thermodynamics and statistical mechanics. You're probably okay for the GRE with Kahn's book, but if you're really worried about being rusty when you start grad school, pick up a copy of Schroeder's Thermal Physics or a similar undergraduate text.