Guessing and eliminating answer choises

jax

Guessing and eliminating answer choises

Post by jax » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:22 pm

If I can eliminate one answer choice, should I guess on that problem? I was just wondering what is the best way to approach a problem when you can eliminate one answer choice. I know they subtract some percent of the questions you get wrong from your score, so how many do you have to eliminate in order to safely guess?

Grant
site admin

Post by Grant » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:57 am

"As a correction for haphazard guessing, one fourth of the number of questions you answer incorrectly is subtracted from the number of questions you answer correctly." - ETS
I wrote something about this on the following page:
http://www.physicsgre.com/testing-answers.shtml
Feel free to check my math, but if you eliminate 1, 2, or 3 of the answer choices then that statistically corresponds respectively to 1/16, 1/6, or 3/8 points added to your raw score (assuming you guess randomly from the remaining answers).

jax

Post by jax » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:21 am

So even if you eliminate one it's still worth guessing?

If I eliminate one, I would have a 1 in 4 chance of getting it right and they take away 1/4 of the ones you get wrong, so it doesn't seem like that would be productive...

Grant
site admin

Post by Grant » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:30 pm

It makes more sense if you consider 4 different questions where you can eliminate one answer choice in each question. The odds say you will guess correctly on 1 out of the 4 questions (i.e. one correct and three incorrect). For the correct guess you get +1 on your raw score and for the three incorrect ones you get -3/4 from your raw score (i.e. minus 1/4 for each incorrect answer).