Quantum Mechanics for GRE Physics Sub. Test

sonumnnit

Quantum Mechanics for GRE Physics Sub. Test

Post by sonumnnit » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:17 am

I am about to give GRE physics paper in Oct 2017. I am almost done with all the topics except Quantum Mechanics. Quantum Mechanics have 12% weightage. Means 10-12 questions. Assume I have zero knowledge about Quantum Mechanics.

From the sample test all I could find are question related to following topics
Potential well, Pauli spin matrices, Hermitian, Eigen Vectors, Hydrogen Atom

Many people referred Griffiths “Intro. To Quantum Mechanics”. Following are its contents.
1. The wave function
a. Schrodinger Equation
b. Statistical Interpretation
c. Probability
d. Normalization
e. Momentum
f. Uncertainty Principle
2. Time – Independent Schrodinger Equation
a. Stationary States
b. Infinite Square Well
c. Harmonic Oscillator
d. Free Particle
e. Delta – Function Potential
f. Finite Square Well
3. Formalism
4. Quantum Mechanics in 3 Dimension
5. Identical Waves
6. Perturbation theory
7. Variation Principle
8. Measurement and Adiabatic Approximation
9. Scattering
10. Interpretation
But I could see that may be Chap 1-2 are only in syllabus
Please advice which study material or book to follow and from I can get more past year GRE physics questions and Online video lectures (Tailor made for GRE Physics).I am open to paid guidance.

Warm Regards !!!

sonumnnit

Re: Quantum Mechanics for GRE Physics Sub. Test

Post by sonumnnit » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:15 am

No replies !!!!
Please help ...

CMphysics

Post by CMphysics » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:25 am

I am not an expert in the subject but from point of view of my preparation and the syllabus, you need to cover 1,2,4 chapters completely! 3- I would recommend that you do it too unless you have had a previous knowledge of QM. Chapter 5, until the subsection solids , chapter 6 - until degenerate perturbation theory. These will be enough from the exam point of view I believe.
PS: I went through the syllabus myself and estimated what was needed and only did that much!. You shouldn't expect for somebody to help you out for something such as this which you could have done by your self.

sonumnnit

Post by sonumnnit » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:13 pm

CMphysics wrote:I am not an expert in the subject but from point of view of my preparation and the syllabus, you need to cover 1,2,4 chapters completely! 3- I would recommend that you do it too unless you have had a previous knowledge of QM. Chapter 5, until the subsection solids , chapter 6 - until degenerate perturbation theory. These will be enough from the exam point of view I believe.
PS: I went through the syllabus myself and estimated what was needed and only did that much!. You shouldn't expect for somebody to help you out for something such as this which you could have done by your self.
Sir
I did some homework before posting . Its only that I needed some expert advise (which I think this forum is made and not moral lecturing). Moreover I seek advice on subject material which I think falls perfectly under the domain of this forum