Arizona State University (MS/PhD - Physics and Astronomy)

• Build school profiles for prospective graduate students.
  • Everyone is welcome to share their knowledge of schools.

AZ

Post by AZ » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:53 am

http://phy.asu.edu
Tempe, AZ

tensorwhat

Re: Arizona State University (MS/PhD - Physics and Astronomy)

Post by tensorwhat » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:26 pm

this sure looks good :wink: :wink:

http://physics.asu.edu/graduate

noojens

Post by noojens » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:34 pm

Haha, I love how the most prominent thing on their website is a picture of a sexy-lookin' lady.

Someone in the department took some marketing classes.

cato88

Post by cato88 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:51 pm

She has my vote for hottest program coordinator.I would constantly need things coordinated if I went to ASU.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:44 pm

cato88 wrote:She has my vote for hottest program coordinator.I would constantly need things coordinated if I went to ASU.
LMFAO! Ditto on the girl who works at the stockroom at PPPL... I need to get four 1-inch 10-32 screws. But I think I'll pick them up one by one. :lol:

moon

Post by moon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:42 am

Can someone comment on the strength of the Dept? I might be wrong, but it looks like they have some prominent researchers there (some new?)

Deviant

Post by Deviant » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:47 am

Anybody who is currently studying in Arizona State, can spare some words about the department? The department looks quite good and I am thinking about applying, any info would be much appreciated.

PrinceWalnut

Post by PrinceWalnut » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:04 am

Hi, I'm an undergraduate here.

I say the faculty are great, particularly in materials science and biophysics (the astro people often also work in the School of Earth and Space Exploration https://sese.asu.edu/). In biophysics, we have a "Center for Biological Physics" which includes people working on things like intrinsically disordered proteins, molecular dynamics simulations, and people in the NSF-funded BioXFEL consortium. Also some really good faculty for materials science like Prof. John Spence and Prof. Fernando Ponce.

It can get really hot in the summers here, but it's a dry heat as we Arizonans say. Rents around the Tempe area are on the rise, but not exorbitant compared to some US cities. Lots of resources (I have access to at least five computing clusters/computers off the top of my head), and we have centers with electron microscopes and a soon-to-be operating compact x-ray light source (CXLS). It's quite a large campus (~50k students at the Tempe campus last I heard), so don't expect a small rural college vibe. Public transit around Tempe is pretty decent, but Phoenix is a large metro area, so cars dominate a lot if you don't get housing nearby.

Happy to answer any other questions if you guys have any.

Deviant

Post by Deviant » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:45 am

How is the high energy theory/quantum gravity group? Thanks for the information, BTW.