DOE SCGF notification?

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

Dreaded Anomaly

DOE SCGF notification?

Post by Dreaded Anomaly » Fri May 04, 2012 9:07 pm

Has anyone heard back from the DOE SCGF yet? The only information given on their website is that notifications will come in May, but nothing more specific has been forthcoming.

I spoke with someone working in the Office of Science who said that they got at least 1000 applications for 150 fellowships, so no applicant has a great chance to get it (though I think that's still better than NSF). It would just be nice to get the result of the applications we submitted five months ago.

Dreaded Anomaly

Re: DOE SCGF notification?

Post by Dreaded Anomaly » Sun May 27, 2012 10:40 am

I got the notification email on May 25. I was not selected (unsurprisingly). The details they gave:
We received more than 1,300 completed applications. Applications were subjected to a rigorous external review by distinguished scientists. Selections were based on demonstration of outstanding academic achievement and preparedness for graduate education and research, supported by evidence in the submitted application materials (including the online application, letters of recommendations, official transcripts, etc.). From the review process, 254 applicants were selected as Finalists; 50 of the most highly reviewed Finalists were extended a fellowship offer.
Only 50 fellowships awarded; I suspect their funding was reduced.