Neurophysics and neuroquantology

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

solty

Neurophysics and neuroquantology

Post by solty » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:08 pm

Hi Everyone,
I want to share an interdisciplinary quantum neurophysics (NeuroQuantology) journal with you. NeuroQuantology supporting the interdisciplinary exploration of the nature of quantum physics and its relation to the nervous system.

NeuroQuantology (2001) is first and foremost a new scientific discipline, just like neuroanatomy (1895), neurobiology (1910), neuroendocrinology, neurochemistry (1920-25), neuropharmacology (1950), neurophilosophy (1989), and neurotheology (1994).

Since 2003, neuroscience and quantum physics have been growing together by examining two main topics. One of these is the problem of measurement in quantum mechanics. The measurement problem has brought many other still unanswered questions in its train.

The other main topic of NeuroQuantology is quantum neurobiology: that is, the brain operates not only at a classical, macroscopic level, but also at a quantum, microscopic level. It covers the question of where this level begins and whether it has a bearing on our consciousness, mind, memory and decision-making processes. The first people to suggest that quantum mechanics could operate in biology, even though they were the godfathers of quantum mechanics (Niels Bohr, Erwin Schödinger, Walter Heitler, and Max Delbrück), now after 110 years have passed have been squeezed into quantum mechanics and the physics and chemistry of solid, dead matter. Thus, the biological structures that are taught from primary school are made up of physical and chemical structures. Incomprehensibly, there has been resistance for a century to quantum biology. NeuroQuantology provides the motivation to break down this resistance and open a new door to quantum neurobiology.

The journal was first published on 2003. It is indexed (2008) in the Scientific Citation Index.

http://science.thomsonreuters.com/cg...euroquantology

Journal web site
http://www.neuroquantology.com/journ...x.php/nq/index

Also, journal have interdisciplinary repository, e-print archive with different subject and topics. his includes digital copies of journal articles, book section, monograph, conference or workshop item, thesis, video, audio, teaching resource.
http://www.neuroquantology.com/repos...obi2&Itemid=66

Best,

schwiss

Re: Neurophysics and neuroquantology

Post by schwiss » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:45 pm

I don't enjoy being this much an asshole, but:

That sounds like one hundred percent bullshit.

kroner

Post by kroner » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:27 pm

I could see this being a real topic that some people are researching. But I'm a little curious about the fact that none of the links actually work...

Also "neuroquantology" is a ridiculous name.

solty

Post by solty » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:35 pm

Why nueroquantology ridiculous name but not Neuro-anatomy, neuro-biology, neuro-chemistry?

Did you see these basic papers?

A Historical View of the Relation Between Quantum Mechanics and the Brain
http://www.neuroquantology.com/journal/ ... e/view/278

Over the past decade, discussions of the roles that quantum mechanics might or might not play in the theory of consciousness/mind have become increasingly sharp. One side of this debate stand conventional neuroscientists who assert that brain science must look to the neuron for understanding, and on the other side are certain physicists, suggesting that the rules of quantum theory might influence the dynamics of consciousness/mind. However, consciousness and mind are not separate from matter. Submicroscopic world of the human brain give rise to consciousness, mind. We are never able to make a sharp separation between mind and matter. Thus ultimately there is no “mind” that can be separated from “matter” and no “matter” that can be separated from “mind”. The brain as a mixed physical system composed of the macroscopic neuron system and an additional microscopic system. The former consists of pathway conduction of neural impulses. The latter is assumed to be a quantum mechanical many-body system interacting with the macroscopic neuron system.

and also another
http://www.neuroquantology.com/journal/ ... e/view/271
Why We Need Quantum Physics for Cognitive Neuroscience

Abstract
For the past 20 years and more, arguments about the role of quantum mechanics in consciousness and mind theory have been mounting. On the one side are traditional neuroscientists who believe that the way to understanding the brain is through looking at the nerve cells. On the other side are various physicists who suggest that the laws of quantum mechanics may have an influence on the dynamics of consciousness and the mind. At the same time however, consciousness and the mind cannot be separated from matter. They originate in the microscopic world of the human brain. There can be no definite separation between mind and matter; there is no ‘mind’ without ‘matter’, and no ‘matter’ without ‘mind’. In terms of cognitive neuroscience, we know a great deal about the working of nerve cells. For example, we understand quite well about the formation of action potential, ion exchange, energy use, axonal transport, the vesicle cycle, and formation, oscillation and breakdown in nerve transmission. But we still do not understand how experience is formed in our material brain (color, sound, smell, taste, pain, imagination, decision, dreams, love, or orgasm) and how consciousness arises in an unconscious material organ. The insufficiency of these answers no doubt arises from the insufficiency of the methods used by cognitive science.

kroner

Post by kroner » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:07 pm

The reason it is ridiculous is that "quantology" is not a word.
That said, I don't doubt there are interesting and important questions to be studied. From a philosophical perspective, QM has far reaching implications for things like free will, consciousness and determinism. I don't see any reason in theory that those questions couldn't be looked at from a neuro science perspective. However I'm not in a position to judge how serious the current research is there. I really don't know anything about it. I just wanted to point out that the name is ridiculous.

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:53 pm

Stuart Hameroff and his ilk are quacks. That's really all there is to it. Somehow I managed to sit through an afternoon of invited talks from the "experts" in this field at the recent Google Workshop on Quantum Biology (in my defense, I was there for the free food).

I'm not qualified to judge the quality of their neuroscience, but I can assure you that their quantum mechanics is nonsense. Their notion of quantum computation in the brain is so poorly formulated and amorphous that I would not even dignify it by calling it scientific hypothesis.

This is not like String Theory, which has been called "not even wrong." This is just "wrong."

solty

Post by solty » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:30 am

There are many person studying about neurophysics/neuroquantology like as Roger Penrose, Henry Stapp and also Brian Josephson... You can say, neuroscience OK, but nonsense QM! Did you say "nonsense QM" for Stapp, Penrose and Josephson?

And many quantum physicists have commented on the close similarities between quantum theory and consciousness. These similarities were mentioned very early on by the founding fathers of quantum physics and neuroscience, among them physicists David Bohm (Bohm, 1988), Niels Bohr (Honner, 2005), John von Neumann (1955), Ervin Schrödinger (1959), and Roger Penrose (Penrose, 1989), and neuroscientist John Eccles (Eccles, 1990; Beck and Eccles, 1992) and Karl Pribram (1999) [from article NeuroQuantology].

Other interdisciplinary theories about quantum mechanics and the nervous system, people and theories.
1924 Alfred Lotka Quantum leap in mind-brain relations
1928 Arthur Eddington Quantum mechanics-determinism in the brain
1930 Fritz London and Edmond Bauer Consciousness creates reality
1932 John Von Neumann First theory of the relationship between QM and consciousness
1934 J.B.S. Haldane Quantum wave characteristics can explain life and the mind
1934 Niels Bohr The mind and QM are connected
1934 Norbert Weiner Quantum Mechanics, Haldane, and Leibniz
1951 David Bohm Copenhagen interpretation, the holistic brain
1955 John Von Neumann The effect of consciousness on quantum measurement
1965 Karl Pribram The holographic brain (memory) model – non-locality
1966 John Eccles Persuading the Pope to call a conference on consciousness
1967 L.M. Riccicardi and H. Umezawa Quantum Neurophysics: corticons
1971 Karl Pribram Dendritic nets – the holographic brain model
1973 David Bohm Holomovement
1974 Ewan H. Walker Electron tunnelling in synapses (1977)
1978 Stuart, Takahashi and Umezawa Water in nerve cells – the quantum field theory
1986 Herbert Frölich The Bose-Einstein condensate in biology
1986 John Eccles Quantum tunnelling, psychons
1986 Roger Penrose Subjective reduction in consciousness
1987 Ross Adey and Karl Pribram Microtubular quantum coherence and electromagnetic fields
1989 Ian Marshall Bose-Einstein condensate in the brain
1989 Michael Lockwood Perception of brain states
1992 Friedrich Beck and John Eccles Synaptic tunnelling
1992 Stuart Hameroff and Roger Penrose Objective reduction in microtubules
1992 Teruaki Nakagomi The brain and quantum monadology
1994 Henry Stapp Calcium ions and the collapse of wave functions
1995 Mari Jibu and Kunio Yasue Ordered water – superradiance
1995 Stuart Hameroff and Roger Penrose Microtubules – quantum computation
1995 Gordon Globus Quantum cognition and sensory input
1995 Henry Stapp Experiences and the free will model
1998 Stuart Hameroff Tunnelling in the close connections between cells
1998 Scott Hagan Microtubules – biophoton emission
2000 Giuseppe Vitiello The dissipative brain
2000 Henry Stapp The quantum Zeno effect and the mind
2002 Huping Hu and Maoxin Wu Spin-mediated consciousness theory

I think that main questions are;
1. Is there any relationship BRAINZ>consicousness>mind and measurement in quantum mechanics?
2. And Is there any submicroscopic level in the brain like as quantum neurobiology (ion exchange, neurotransmitters release, action potential...)?

solty

Post by solty » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:40 am

I was find another FREE paper about: Synaptic Quantum Tunnelling in Brain Activity. Friedrich Beck is a quantum physicists.
http://www.neuroquantology.com/journal/ ... e/view/168

backONit

Post by backONit » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:40 am

zxcv wrote:Stuart Hameroff and his ilk are quacks. That's really all there is to it.
I agree that Hameroff is a hack. I've seen his youtube videos and he seems to just use quantum mechanics as a cool/flashy word and nothing more (not that I know how to use quantum mechanics any better or anything). He goes on and on without actually saying anything more than restating the hypothesis over and over again and when they ask him why he thinks this, he just starts name-dropping all these legendary scientists.

But on the other hand, claiming "that's all there is to it" because some of the people doing it (the ones with the most money to promote themselves) are hacks, really has no bearing on whether there really is anything to it or not.