Internships

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

LimerickJim

Internships

Post by LimerickJim » Wed May 05, 2010 7:57 pm

hey,
I'm applying to grad schools this fall however i graduate from my masters in September. If i get accepted into any grad programs it'll be at least a year before i get started. are there any internships for gratuate students that I could aply to for this fall?

Jim

grae313

Re: Internships

Post by grae313 » Wed May 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Contact many professors at schools you'll be applying to and ask them if they would accept your resume for a research assistant position. Some profs actually have more funding than students and have projects ideas just waiting for students, and it would be a great foot in the door to getting accepted to a PhD program. If that fails, try and do research at your current institution and if that fails, look for research jobs at local government labs or companies.

theoretical_phys

Re: Internships

Post by theoretical_phys » Tue May 11, 2010 11:42 am

When I graduated with a bachelors in May 2009, I sent my CV to universities and government labs and explained that I wanted to take a year off and gain research experience before I entered into graduate school. It is true that sometimes professors end up having more money that students. I applied to roughly 15 or so universities/labs and was contacted by 2 of them. I ended up working at Fermilab.

Good luck! There are definitely research positions out there.