Changing NSF GRFP tenure topic

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

vroomfondel

Changing NSF GRFP tenure topic

Post by vroomfondel » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:38 am

I'm thinking of switching research topics (as a 1st year grad student) from biophysics to hard condensed matter systems.

Unfortunately, proposal was all about a collaboration between my current advisor and a biologist to do biomedical engineering stuff -- I'm not sure how this will sit with the NSF.

Any thoughts or experience with such things?

grae313

Re: Changing NSF GRFP tenure topic

Post by grae313 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:17 pm

No experience personally with changing topic, but when I went to a fellowship info session chaired by NSF reviewers and past award recipients, it was clear that your research essay topic is not binding. This makes sense as most applicants are seniors in undergrad. They are looking to see that you understand research and can identify and think through a problem well enough to write a clear proposal. I don't think you will have any trouble changing your research topic.

vroomfondel

Post by vroomfondel » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:03 pm

Yeah, that's what I've heard too. But you are still required to write a blurb explaining your decision to switch tenure, and I don't know how seriously they take that blurb.

I'll be talking to our NSF coordinator at some point next week - will post what i gather from him.

marilyn099

Post by marilyn099 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:46 am

Hi, vroomfondel! I'm in the same situation now.. Could you please tell what was the result of yours? Was it easy as you'd expected or there were some complications? Hillhurst Sunnyside
Last edited by marilyn099 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

negru

Post by negru » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:00 am

vroomfondel's last post was a year and a half ago. i think it is safe to assume that the result was that he was murdered. I would not try to change topics if i were you.