Will the Summer be required?

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

wentrbjdr

Will the Summer be required?

Post by wentrbjdr » Fri May 22, 2009 11:54 pm

I've been trying to find this info on various grad school pages and I can't figure it out:
In general, is it required to remain on campus and do research every summer you are in grad school?
Thx.

excel

Re: Will the Summer be required?

Post by excel » Sat May 23, 2009 12:30 am

In general, no. In fact, several graduate programs may offer TA/RA/ fellowship covering 9 months, so you would have to arrange something on-campus or off-campus for the summer. However, specific situations may differ. For example, I have a 12-month fellowship and am expected to work in my lab during the summer (which I want to anyway) but may take off for a week with my PI's blessings.

Many things in graduate school are by arrangement between the graduate student and the PI, and this likely applies to your question as well.

dlenmn

Re: Will the Summer be required?

Post by dlenmn » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:11 pm

In general, I don't think you're required to be there, but -- from what I've seen -- almost everyone is (getting a summer RA around here is super easy, even for theory students). It helps with that whole graduating in a reasonable amount of time thing. Also, if you're doing experiment, your advisor probably wants you in the lab.