MS student rejected for PhD at current institution

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

Eggbert_12

MS student rejected for PhD at current institution

Post by Eggbert_12 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:00 pm

So I’m finishing up my MS in physics at my current institution. I’ve been applying for physics PhD programs and just found out that I’ve been rejected from my current institution for their PhD program. I am currently set to do a MS thesis, but given that I was mainly doing it to satisfy some of my current institutions requirements for those who go from MS to PhD I’m thinking about dropping it. Nothing about it is publishable, as the project needed the time it takes a PhD to get anywhere near that. Should I just give up on it and use my time for other things?

Nightzeit

Re: MS student rejected for PhD at current institution

Post by Nightzeit » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:59 pm

As a current MS student who is not doing a MS thesis and is applying to PhD programs, I think you should continue it if you can make some kind of progress with it. Supposedly, schools will favor those who have done a MS thesis, already. However, I'm not doing one because quite frankly I have no idea what I could do it on and now it seems too late to start.

But really it depends on what else you could delegate that time to. Is there something more helpful that it is preventing you from doing/working on?

I myself am quite fearful of getting rejected from my current institute. There's an abnormally large number of MS students in my year at my school, and of them, 4 of us are re-applying for roughly 7 seats, meaning if the school gives out about 14 acceptances, then for us to ALL get in would take up almost a third of the acceptance slots. That's a lot.