How Covid-19 Has Changed Graduate School

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

Nightzeit

How Covid-19 Has Changed Graduate School

Post by Nightzeit » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:28 pm

Some things I have personally noticed or have heard from others or assume:

1. Sabbatical backlog - many professors put off their sabbatical leave during the pandemic and this has built up to more profs leaving for sabbatical in 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024... I assume this is a short-term effect that will even out eventually, but it has lead to many students at my institution taking courses elsewhere as transfer students.

2. It seems some students may have a harder time finding motivation to come in to the school buildings to do their work there and collaborate with others. They're more used to doing things alone and at home.

3. With very few exceptions, I have mostly not seen any students above their 3rd year. I assume this is covid-related. The 4th years are the ones who had half of their 1st, all of their 2nd, and bits of their 3rd year of grad school online, keep in mind.

4. There are more MS students and fewer PhD students assembly at most schools (for financial reasons).

What changes have you noticed and do you agree or disagree with the observations above?