Physics PhD after a Math MS

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

J456

Physics PhD after a Math MS

Post by J456 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:23 pm

Hi,

I'm currently a master's candidate in math at a middle tier university in the USA. I studied math/physics during my undergraduate outside of the USA. I'll be looking to move to a different program after picking up my master's in a years time. My interests are inter-disciplinary, and I'm a bit interested in mathematical physics as well. I will, however, most likely sit for the Math GRE exam, and I will probably not have enough time to study for the Physics GRE from the scratch. Are there any good (theoretical) physics programs that don't require the physics gre? If not, I'll probably look at math programs that have people working on this front.

theboyphysics

Re: Physics PhD after a Math MS

Post by theboyphysics » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:05 pm

What range worldwide is middle tier in the US?