ETS Physics Problems - GRE Practicing to take the Physics

• New visitors are encouraged to start reading topics of interest in the articles forum as the articles can help you digest a lot of information in a short amount of time.
  • Everybody is encouraged to write articles that can benefit prospective and current physics graduate students.

problems

ETS Physics Problems - GRE Practicing to take the Physics

Post by problems » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:51 pm

Note: The following site has all the ETS problems and solutions:
http://grephysics.yosunism.com

The site contains the recent GR0177 practice test in addition the the tests in the following book.

Practicing to take the Physics Test 3rd edition - It is made up of three previously administered physics GRE subject exams GR8677, GR9277, and GR9677. This book is no longer in print, but with the help of a search engine you can probably find these practice tests in pdf format online.

For more on how to effectively utilize these sample test then take a look at the discussion - Taking Sample Tests.

Other ETS Physics Problems

When I took the exam, GRE ETS mailed a small Physics Test Descriptive Booklet which contains 31 sample problems. These were intended to be a representation of the types of problems found on the physics GRE. I would imagine this booklet still does a nice job fulfilling its original intent. I think I have a copy of this in .pdf form on my old computer. If somebody wants me to try and dig this up then I will give it a try.

If you want to add a few more high quality problems to work through while you prepare for the Physics GRE then take a look at the sample questions posted by ETS for their Major Field Tests. There are 12 quality sample questions in the Physics. I also thought a few problems were worthwhile in the Chemistry (#7, #9, #12) and Mathematics II (#1, #9, #10) sample questions. You can read the test descriptions for yourself to see if the questions are applicable to your Physics GRE preparation. As far as I can tell, the Major Field Test questions seem to be just a bit easier than the ones on the Practicing to take the Physics Test book. I thought it was interesting that ETS posted the physics sample questions just a few days after the a Physics GRE was administered. Regardless, I like the Major Field Test sample questions and think they are excellent preparation material for the Physics GRE but it sure would be nice if there were more problems to work through. Actually, if I were an undergraduate again, I would try to convince one of my professors to have the department assess our skills with a Major Field Test in Physics. You could tell them it will help the department assess the students/teachers as well as help the students prepare for the Physics GRE (Note: It does cost money but it is probably a drop in the bucket for a Physics Department). Note: I looked very hard for more sample Major Field Test questions in physics so I could link to them but I could not find any more than what I link to above.

astrosona

Re: ETS Physics Problems - GRE Practicing to take the Physics

Post by astrosona » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:40 pm

thank u.. this was really useful

Simon Belmont

Re: ETS Physics Problems - GRE Practicing to take the Physics

Post by Simon Belmont » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:16 am

Forgive me, just testing to see if the site uses any latex

$$n$$

[math]n[/math]

[latex]n[/latex]

bfollinprm