And so it begins...

• The Physics Web Log forum behaves exactly like the regular forums except posts are sorted in reverse chronological order and also the originator of the blog is the only person who can post entries.
  • Prospective graduate students, current graduate students, post docs, professors, and even physics graduates working in industry encouraged to start a blog.

GPMF

And so it begins...

Post by GPMF » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:27 pm

I plan on writing this blog to update what I'm doing in physics every week. I don't exactly have the format planned out, but every Sunday-not counting tomorrow-I will try to update it. This is more for me than for anybody here. In part because I feel as though I'm an anomaly on this website in that I'm not exactly a genius or hard worker(yet), and I probably won't be going into academia. I'm not sure how this will all work out. But, we will see.

A little about me. I will be starting an MS in physics next autumn. I regard myself as something of a Raskolnikov-I am going to face justice for my "crime", but through repentence will find my way. I completely fucked up my undergraduate period(I will be posting on this with more details, and questions for anyone on this site who has been in a similar stituation and has gone for an MS first. In spite of everything, I feel free that the BS is over, and I can move on, somewhat), and at this moment am wondering if it is too late for me to turn it around. This is also true in many other areas of my life. The good news is that I've finally got my BS and after next semester, I'll leave for a new place. I think that's critical-I need a fresh new start, psychologically, in order to truly be who I want to be.

I've fallen in love with condensed matter theory over the past year, and whatever the odds, I will try to get a Phd in it. Taking a couple of graduate level solid state courses under a REALLY good teacher really had an effect. I have a long way to go, and a lot of skills to develop. But even if I'm the suckiest physicist on the planet(and before you say that I'm not, just wait until I post). Particular interests of mine include topological phenomena and other exotic phases in condensed matter systems, condensed matter many-body physics and strongly correlated systems, and developing new algorithms and numerical methods for condensed matter systems.

My user name stands for Gross Pistaevskii Mean Field, BTW.

Nice to meet you all.

dzozna

Re: And so it begins...

Post by dzozna » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:22 am

Hi everybody,
this is me presenting a practical usage of pressure difference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXcxkHzU724

Awakeza

Re: And so it begins...

Post by Awakeza » Tue May 15, 2018 12:09 am

This topic is most useful.