No. of Students

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

vaibhavtewari

No. of Students

Post by vaibhavtewari » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:57 pm

Do any one has any idea regarding how many students yearly appear for Physics GRE.I am asking this as because top 10 universities will accomodate around 300 students.Now how much is the pertage of these 300 among the total no. of students...this rough estimate may give the idea of how much we should aim for a particular spectrum of universities...

del

no of student

Post by del » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:29 am

hi, some of the top universities don't necessarily ask to take sub gre. anyway, your calculation will be useful to all.

Zathras

Post by Zathras » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:10 am

According to
http://ftp.ets.org/pub/gre/994994.pdf

almost 11,000 students took the Physics GRE in the three year period from summer 2000 until summer 2003. That leaves ~3600 students per year taking the GRE.

However, even this number may be a bit inflated, for purposes of competition to get into grad school. Some graduate schools require their students to retake the Physics GRE while they are in graduate school if they did not reach some minimum score. Also, this does not take into account the number of people who took the exam more than once.

Another thing is that there has been a longstanding dispute over administrations of the GRE in Asia. Most grad schools will frankly look much more favorably at a 90th percentile score for an exam taken in the US or Europe than a top score from Asia. (I have been the student rep of the admission commitee for a graduate program, so I saw this firsthand, and I was told that the "Asian correction" happens just about everywhere) So don't think you absolutely have to get above 90 percentile to get in the top schools (although it certainly helps :) )