Like physics and football? You'll probably like NFL Picks IQ

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

Grant
site admin

Like physics and football? You'll probably like NFL Picks IQ

Post by Grant » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:23 am

If you like physics and NFL football then you'll probably like playing PicksIQ.

I created PicksIQ.com to be a fun free game measuring your NFL picks IQ. I thought my friends who like football would like to play, but I think it is too complicated for people who aren't into physics and math. Anyway, that is why I am posting about it here in the physics lounge. I hope a few of you decide to play. There is a $25 prize for the highest preseason IQ. There aren't many people playing during the preseason so there is a good chance you can win.

The way it works is simple for a physics person to understand. Everyone starts with a NFL picks IQ of 100 and you can gain and lose IQ points depending on the accuracy of your picks relative to other players. For example, suppose you picked "Dolphins win by 10" and the Dolphins ended up winning by 3 then your pick was off by 7. If the median amount off were more than 7 you would gain an IQ point. If the median amount off were less than 7 you would lose and IQ point. If the median amount off were exactly 7 then your IQ would remain unchanged. Also, a bonus IQ point is also given to any score prediction that off by 3 points or less.

There is some strategy involved since on the home page you can see the number of players who pick each team to win and you can also see the average score prediction of all players. Also, to make the PicksIQ season more fun there is a $100 Superbowl grid and you can win squares on the grid by making good picks during the season.

I go by "Gee" on PicksIQ.com and I hope to see some of you there this season.

bfollinprm

Re: Like physics and football? You'll probably like NFL Picks IQ

Post by bfollinprm » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:56 am

The great Grant has returned! Bow before the creator!