The queries of a young physics enthusiast

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

k2y

The queries of a young physics enthusiast

Post by k2y » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:39 am

THE JOURNEY TO A BETTER PLACE

I am a 17 year old student from India who is pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Physics and Mathematics (Yes , double major). I am a first year student in college and I think since grade 10 my interest and passion for Physics has started growing and it has now led me to pursue a degree in the same with hopes of doing further studies in a foreign country.

I had recently done a little bit research and figured out that one of the best places to earn my graduate degree would be Stanford university , and man am I hooked at the idea of studying there. If I'm being honest I have never really learnt anything be it mathematics or physics or geography with the purpose of scoring good grades in an exam and have always tried to understand the things properly , not always securing the best of grades. I owe this mentality to my mother who never made me feel any pressure towards securing good grades and was always there for me irrespective of my grades and helped me in my academic journey. I also owe this to my Mathematics and Physics teacher who has really shown me the beauty of both subjects and cultivated my interests in the same.

I am willing to do whatever it takes to get into Stanford be it learning 3 / 4 years of Physics materials diligently or maintaining the best GPA throughout college. I want to take part in all the experiments / research work / teaching / extra-curriculars which can help me to build a decent portfolio and boost my chances of gaining admission into one of the best institutions in the world.

However I am a newborn in this field and the journey ahead seems really daunting , although I am going to try my best to ensure my success I know I cannot do it all alone. I stumbled across this website today and it is almost like a blessing in disguise to be able to connect with likeminded people and learn , share and grow together. I would love to gain input from everyone who is on this site and try to understand how to tackle this journey not only with the GRE Physics but also in general with my learnings with Physics. I would love to interact with all of you and try to gain as much information and expertise as I can. I will mostly be giving the GRE in 2025/2026 but am willing to be part of any study groups of people who are giving the test any time soon in order to gauge the preparation that I need to put in but also to pick up key things that can be otherwise missed.

I would love to hear from anybody and feel free to message me personally and I will try to get back as soon as I can. I look forward to learning from one and all present here.

<3 K2Y

marcusjack41

Re: The queries of a young physics enthusiast

Post by marcusjack41 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:50 pm

t's inspiring to read about your passion for physics and mathematics, and your drive to pursue your dream of studying at Stanford University. Your approach of prioritizing understanding and learning rather than just focusing on grades is commendable and will serve you well in your academic journey.

It's great that you're willing to put in the hard work and dedication necessary to achieve your goals, including participating in research, teaching, and extracurricular activities to build a strong portfolio. Remember to also prioritize self-care and balance in your journey, as burnout can be a real challenge in the pursuit of higher education.

Being part of study groups and seeking input and advice from others in your field is a wise approach, and it's wonderful that you're already seeking out opportunities to connect with like-minded individuals through this website. Don't hesitate to reach out to others and collaborate on your learning journey.

With your passion, drive, and willingness to learn and grow, I have no doubt that you'll be successful in achieving your goals and making a positive impact in the field of physics. Best of luck to you on your journey to a better place!