Cosmology books

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

Aritra Kundu

Cosmology books

Post by Aritra Kundu » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:05 am

Introduction to Cosmology by Barbara Ryden is perhaps the best book to introduce someone to the subject. After reading Ryden, what books should a student who's interested to pursue research in cosmology should look upon? Is Cosmological Physics by John Peacock a good option? There are some negative reviews of the book though. I personally think the book by Peebles is a little bit old fashioned and disorganised. Modern Cosmology by Scott Dodelson maybe a tough read for someone who has read only Ryden.

HubbleBubble

Re: Cosmology books

Post by HubbleBubble » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:15 pm

Aritra Kundu wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:05 am
Introduction to Cosmology by Barbara Ryden is perhaps the best book to introduce someone to the subject. After reading Ryden, what books should a student who's interested to pursue research in cosmology should look upon? Is Cosmological Physics by John Peacock a good option? There are some negative reviews of the book though. I personally think the book by Peebles is a little bit old fashioned and disorganised. Modern Cosmology by Scott Dodelson maybe a tough read for someone who has read only Ryden.
Are you purely interested in cosmology? After I read Ryden I would personally be much more interested in branching into structure formation and galaxy evolution. The Mo/Bosch/White text is excellent for that, and in my experience is the current standard. Or you might want to go in a particle physics direction, not sure which book is most popular there, maybe a particle user can help. If you want to read more about cosmology itself, yes Dodelson would be a fine second text. Take it slow if need be, but you are covering a lot of the same topics anyways.

Aritra Kundu

Post by Aritra Kundu » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:43 am

HubbleBubble wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:15 pm

Are you purely interested in cosmology? After I read Ryden I would personally be much more interested in branching into structure formation and galaxy evolution. The Mo/Bosch/White text is excellent for that, and in my experience is the current standard. Or you might want to go in a particle physics direction, not sure which book is most popular there, maybe a particle user can help. If you want to read more about cosmology itself, yes Dodelson would be a fine second text. Take it slow if need be, but you are covering a lot of the same topics anyways.

Yes currently I am interested in Cosmology as a whole. What's your review on Cosmological Physics by John Peacock?

HubbleBubble

Post by HubbleBubble » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:04 am

Never read it. The description seems what you are after. Oh hey I skimmed through the Coles text once that may be a similar post-Ryden/Liddle level but still accessible for undergrads.