MATLAB help??

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

VT

MATLAB help??

Post by VT » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:27 pm

Ok, I imported an image(.bmp) to MATLAB, and I am trying to change the axes. The imported image was in theta_x Vs theta_y plot before, now I want to change it to inverse length Vs inverse length plot. Is there a way to achieve this in MATLAB? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

dlenmn

Re: MATLAB help??

Post by dlenmn » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:02 pm

.BMP files are just bitmap images -- a big array containing color information for each pixel in the picture. Unlike some other formats, it contains no other information about the data that makes up the graph. Reading the data out from it (so that you can make a new chart with new axes) will be kind of difficult. Do you have the original data? That's what you want to work with.

VT

Post by VT » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:11 pm

Yes, I do have the original data. Hold on, when you say original data, do you mean a picture or all those crazy pixel numbers? I have both actually, and I am trying to avoid that long list of pixel data. I have an image( on a powerpoint slide) that was created using this data on Igor Pro, which I am not familiar with. so what is the next step now?

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:26 pm

By original data I mean a list of the points being plotted (the stuff that was read out of the original simulation or experiment) or some file that contains it (like an Igor project file). The easiest way is to use the data in this form, rather than trying to read it out of an image.