What were the best quotes from this past year???

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

Which of the quotes below were your favorite? (Choose up to three)

3%
3%
6%
24%
No votes
15%
3%
6%
24%
18%

Total votes: 34

quizivex

What were the best quotes from this past year???

Post by quizivex » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:28 am

1) By VT:
VT wrote:I was only joking,I do not want to take any legal step against the university that I'd really love to go.
2) By hpharty:
GTPHYS91 wrote:hchemist,
Your friends are full of ***. No one is monitoring this website. No one has the time or desire to go through hundreds of threads trying to identify students talking about their programs.
hpharty wrote:I had a good chuckle imagining people full of asterisks just now.
3) By butsurigakusha :
twistor wrote:This data clearly shows the test is biased towards males.
will wrote:The physics GRE is biased towards theorists,
butsurigakusha wrote:the physics GRE has a strong bias against people who don't understand physics.
4) By physicsdude:
woooster wrote:Hi, today on the way to the lab, I saw one of my recommenders, and he is in the admission committee for my school this year. He told me about how the admission works, so I would like to share.
etc......
physicsdude wrote:Here is an approach adopted in one program I know about: you take all the folders and then throw away randomly most of them: you didn't want unlucky people in your program anyway

5) By RG:
RG wrote:my research group will focus on how to cultivate weeds and also design and run experiments that will allow us to distinguish several kinds based on thier smell, taste etc.
6) By grae313:
s.girish999 wrote:Hello everyone......
I am currently pursuing my MSc. Physics from an Indian University.
Do I need to give both GRE General and Subject test to be eligible for a foreign university for doing my Phd.??Is TOEFL required??Do I get any scholarship while doing my Phd. abroad. What are the various formalities??
Plzz mail me on s.girish999@gmail.com if possible.....
Thank You
grae313 wrote:Do you know how to use google? Do you feed yourself with a spoon or do your parents do it for you?
7) By quizivex:
quizivex wrote:The probability of getting 3 garden posts in one day is as small as the probability of being accepted to all of the top 10 grad schools with a 210 PGRE, a 2.1 GPA as an international student with a criminal record.
8.) By goodfromfar:
goodfromfar wrote:did anyone write a "diversity" essay?
The truth would sound like, "I smoked crack in high school and hung out with a lot of homeless losers and pregnant drop outs. Really, it's a miracle I even received a BS," when I'm sure admissions wants to hear "I came from a disadvantaged background and had to work especially hard to break all the barriers that were put up before me"
9) By fermiboy:
disoriented wrote:Will anyone else be attending UChicago?
butsurigakusha wrote:Sorry, I think you are the only one.
twistor wrote:As will said, you are the only one this year. And they are notorious for weeding out 50% of the incoming class.
quizivex wrote:And unfortunately, when they weed out half a person, the other half tends to go down with it...
fermiboy wrote:Stephen Hawking is an important exception to this rule.
10) By garden:
garden wrote:I would say that you guys should *** off the school with damn committee, which they put you guys down because of your GREs not over 90%. Why? because they are so conservative!

quizivex

Re: What were the best quotes from this past year???

Post by quizivex » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:37 am

Damn there are just so many hilarious quotes that keep popping up in my memory... I'll never get them all though... if anyone remembers any good ones please post them here, just to re-live the fun...

Like this one by schandre, which was written back when RG started the "Fall 2008 Acceptances" thread, before anybody had received any admission offers... HILARIOUS!
xdebugger wrote:So nobody has gotten accepted to anywhere yet? This thread is making me quite nervous...
schandre wrote:I'd be a lot more nervous if this thread was 200 posts long and most people had already gotten their acceptance letters while I hadn't. :wink:

twistor

Post by twistor » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:53 pm

I see you are trying to recapture the soaring heights of humor that took place on this board. That was before it was crushed by the tentacles of the octopus of political correctness that lives in that eternal sea of boredom and drudgery.

VT

Post by VT » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:01 pm

I am glad that I also made to the countdown though no vote has been casted for my comment yet.
I am going to drop one for myself :)

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:42 am

twistor wrote:I see you are trying to recapture the soaring heights of humor that took place on this board. That was before it was crushed by the tentacles of the octopus of political correctness that lives in that eternal sea of boredom and drudgery.
Yes, the policy crackdowns were a crushing blow to the flow of conversation on the forum, but at least, fortunately, a few memorable quotes came out of the censorship debates:
twistor wrote:Oh, and you censored the word "suck" ([stink]->suck), too? How thoughtful. Stink my cat.
One thing that hurt was the new rule that anything not directly pertaining to GREs or grad schools can only exist in the lounge. Nobody goes to the lounge. A couple threads there I thought would be popular and fun in the forum got practically no views, and hence practically no responses. And garden forbid we try to slip a thread like that in on the grad school forum page... it'll get banned to the lounge by the next sunset anyway...
twistor wrote:
GCS wrote:Yeah, but he had to compete with the dozens of other polls popping up every 10 min... while your poll gets all the attention now that all the other polls have been banned to the abyss of of the Lounge
The lounge is where polls go to die.
I'm guessing that most people from this year's class don't go to the lounge because they never did in the past since there was never anything there before the censorship era... it's just a habit to only visit the GRE and Grad School forums. But fortunately, next year's class will probably get used to the lounge and come to accept it as part of the forum...
VT wrote:I am glad that I also made to the countdown though no vote has been casted for my comment yet. I am going to drop one for myself
If RG were still with us he probably would have voted for you :(

twistor

Post by twistor » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:14 am

I would have voted for myself but apparently I have made no memorable quotes. I'm glad to see I have some assists, though.

WontonBurritoMeals

Post by WontonBurritoMeals » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:33 pm

Anyone who doesn't vote #10 is a *** asterisk.

May the wind be always at your back,
-Wonton Burrito Meals