End of an era...

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

fermiboy

End of an era...

Post by fermiboy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:05 am

I purposely put this post in the wrong forum. I guess physicsgre.com's freewheeling, profanity laced, non PC days are over. RG is gone, Quiz is MIA, Twistor's out, who's next? This board used to be a great place to ramble, rave, rant, or whatever. Now it's "physicsforums.com lite." Anyways, I'm out.

butsurigakusha

Re: End of an era...

Post by butsurigakusha » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:16 am

I really don't know what to say. I can't believe everyone is bailing out all of a sudden. This forum has been a great help for me during this grad school application process, which is not over yet.

I have no intention of jumping ship. I hope the others come to their senses and decide to return.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:17 am

Later fermiboy. I wish you luck with admissions!

Your departure seems to be because of what you presume will happen, why don't you stick around to see if you're correct or not?

FWIW, I'm not going anywhere... I don't see what the big fuss is about... Perhaps I should start arguments with everyone to keep the posts coming?
Last edited by dlenmn on Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:22 am

What's really interesting is how the number of profiles has boomed in the last few days -- 17 this week! I think things are really starting up, rather than winding down. Perhaps new blood will do the forum good. People who just put up a profile should make some posts elsewhere...

As for everyone leaving at once -- that's often how these things go. It's very steady for a while then, BOOM, the dam breaks.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:32 am

um... the free-wheeling has been completely encouraged, the proposal is just to relocate it. And the profanity-laden will also continue. All you have to do is press a button to get all the *** profanity you want! What the ***! get back here!

doom

Post by doom » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:40 am

I agree, I don't know why some people are jumping ship. However, just because some people with huge post counts are leaving, doesn't mean the forum will die.

It's interesting to see what makes people draw a line in the sand. This sorta reminds me about when facebook first added the "newsfeed" feature, and people formed protest groups like it was the civil rights movement.

I guess it's twistor and fermiboy's right to make their stand on this issue, but I don't really see why. But hey, that's them.

I'd also like to make a stand on behalf of the "PC" issue in this forum. Some people probably would put me in that category for my little confrontation with quiz and grae about quiz's racially tinged post. I didn't respond the way I did out of political correctness. I responded because I was personally offended, and I did it in what I thought was the subtlest and most non-confrontational way I could. Fortunately, I was dealing with two level-headed people, and we worked it out, and I would like to think that all sides chalked it up as a misunderstanding with no hard feelings.

Similarly, I don't think 400nm would've said anything if she hadn't felt personally offended. Unfortunately, RG's various responses didn't sit too well with her, and simply exacerbated the problem.

Anyway, since fermiboy made this post off-topic on purpose, maybe we could derail his post by making it a post of the people who are not going to jump ship. Count my in on that one.

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:12 am

I'd just like to say that I'm sorry for the role I played in escalating these situations more than necessary. I'm not sorry for bringing these issues up, because clearly others felt the same way. But I do have a tendency to get carried away with my rhetoric and that's not necessary or productive, and I will make a point of confronting in a less angry way in the future. The place for RG's male locker room and my feminist rants is in the same place, and that is off this forum.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:55 am

doom wrote:It's interesting to see what makes people draw a line in the sand. This sorta reminds me about when facebook first added the "newsfeed" feature, and people formed protest groups like it was the civil rights movement.
twistor (Princess Leia) wrote:The more you tighten your grip on the site the more it will slip through your fingers.
Oh, this is a far more desperate situation than the civil rights movement. Apparently this dude was about to blow up physicsgre.com!

Grant, you look emaciated! Eat something!

tnoviell

Post by tnoviell » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:59 am

People come and go on this board all the time - it's the nature of it, unfortunately. I hope at least a few of you stick around to help out next year's crew - sometimes just offering kind words helps people calm down a bit.