Switching to Physics

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

dragon_warrior

Switching to Physics

Post by dragon_warrior » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:02 pm

Hi,

I am doing my MS in one of the top 10 universities. During my first semester I got interested in quantum optics, and took relevant courses. I had no background in Physics in my undergrad. At the moment, I am doing MS theses in the Physics departmen. Unfortunatley, my overall GPA has dropped to 3.3. With one semester to go, I can try to bring up my gpa to 3.5 and major gpa to 3.6. Is it possible to get into PhD to MIT/Caltech/UC berkeley?
Obviously, this track change that I am doing is only of its type in the history of my university in last 200 years (maybe I am too stupid).

Any suggestion on how can I get into MIT/Caltech/UC berkeley for my PhD?

AliMustafa

Re: Switching to Physics

Post by AliMustafa » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:15 am

Oh, you're too kind

สโบเบท
Last edited by AliMustafa on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

bfollinprm

Re: Switching to Physics

Post by bfollinprm » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:19 pm

This is possible but very unlikely: that's a pretty low grade for an M.S (generally, below a 3.0 is considered failure in grad school). You'll need stellar recommendations from people surrounding your thesis, which definitely needs to be a noteworthy addition to the literature.

Why do you need to go to a top 10 school? If you aim lower (top 50, say), your background gives you a good shot, and those schools produce quality academics.