Medical student switching to physics

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

Medisp

Medical student switching to physics

Post by Medisp » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:42 am

I have taken medical leave from a DO medical school and decided not to return.

It was a difficult choice but I want to pursue physics.
I have a 36 mcat score
Physics and biology double major 3.56 gpa
Tons of hospital and research experience.
I feel complacence and frustration simultaneously because of how hard I worked to get into medical school yet still got into a DO school (second class medical doctor). I feel I wasted 3 years applying to med school and finally getting in to hate it that nothing is worth anything anymore. But I know that feeling is temporary and I really need help and motivation from those who desire a career in physics.

I want to take the physics GrE not only to prove to myself something but for physics application prospects.
I really need help and guidance on how to study for physics GRE. I did well on mcat bc I spent a year studying for it during 2011. I don't know if I can get a good score in time to still apply to physics programs that require a pgre.

So far I felt a compromise in medical Physics just because my medical experience will favor that application.

To be honest, I know gamesmanship is essential but I'm tired of it. I've done it so much for medicine and it was a futile gesture. I really am lost and the only thing I know is how much I missed physics all thru the med school trail.

seeyouauntie

Re: Medical student switching to physics

Post by seeyouauntie » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:11 am

First off you need to decide what semester you want to apply for. Most schools are on a yearly admission cycle and only take applications for the fall semester. If you haven't taken the PGRE then the first chance you would have to take it is April 2015 (the pgre is offered three times per year, once in the spring and twice during the fall. In the US at least, I've heard it can be different elsewhere) So that would put you at applying in the fall of next year for admission in the fall of 2016. As far as preparing for the pgre, there is a practice test on the ets website as well as four other practice tests from previous years that a quick google search could find. These are the best resources for preparing for the pgre.

Medisp

Post by Medisp » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:05 pm

Thank you very much for the response. I will set my eyes on the April test.

I am referring to this: http://www.gradschoolshopper.com/gradsc ... ?q=1&cid=3
for physics app deadlines after April. That gives me a chance at matriculation fall 2015.

How does one choose a concentration when they spent the available time in college resume building for a completely diff field?

It takes a couple research experiences to determine a concentration but I limited my scope to biophysics and anything that med schools preferred. EKG on smokers, rnai on c elegans, hippocampal kindling model of epileptogenesis...

After I take the PGRE, I'll have an idea about which subjects, when relearned, are most interesting to me. How do I go about discovering, acquiring research opportunities for post baccs or anything like that?

dethfire

Post by dethfire » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:38 pm