How Should I Time my GRE and GRE Physics?

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

Symmetry_Univ

How Should I Time my GRE and GRE Physics?

Post by Symmetry_Univ » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:11 am

Hi!

I aim to start my graduate study in the Aug/Sept session of 2014. As of now (Dec 2012 :D ), I haven't given either of GRE General and GRE Physics tests. Now, I understand that the deadlines in general vary with Universities, but I would very much appreciate if you could explain to me in clear sentences, the best way to time the following stages of my prep:

Start the GRE-General Test prep
Write the GRE General and Physics tests
Start applying to different Universities etc, taking into account the time gap between, say, writing the GRE and getting the score later, and other such details which I might not be aware of.

Thanks!

sphy

Re: How Should I Time my GRE and GRE Physics?

Post by sphy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:23 am

Symmetry_Univ wrote:Hi!

I aim to start my graduate study in the Aug/Sept session of 2014. As of now (Dec 2012 :D ), I haven't given either of GRE General and GRE Physics tests. Now, I understand that the deadlines in general vary with Universities, but I would very much appreciate if you could explain to me in clear sentences, the best way to time the following stages of my prep:

Start applying to different Universities etc, taking into account the time gap between, say, writing the GRE and getting the score later, and other such details which I might not be aware of.

Thanks!
Just start from today because before you know you'll have no time to cuddle up with the books...

Tom Joad

Post by Tom Joad » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:01 pm

Symmetry_Univ wrote:Hi!

Thanks!
You can take the general GRE at any time, and since nothing you learn in the next year will help you score any better on it (it's all very basic), I'd recommend getting it out of the way as soon as possible.

The physics GRE is only offered three times a year: April, October, and November. Any of these three dates are acceptable for admissions in Fall 2014. If you feel prepared, you can take it in April, get your score back, and have plenty of time to decide if you want to take it again (and you only have to report your best score). That's what I did and was able to improve my score in October...though it is expensive! It now takes 4 weeks to get back your score. Typical deadlines for applications are either December 15 +- a few days or in early-to-mid January.

If you ever have a large gap of free time (like now for winter break), I'd recommend to start studying then.

kangaroo

Post by kangaroo » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:22 pm

And general GRE is more of an idiot check than anything, so don't stress out about that.

hooverbm

Post by hooverbm » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:04 pm

Although the general GRE is easy, don't ignore it. I didn't study for it and I got a 160 quantitative and a 4.0 on writing.

I've heard that the quantitative is slightly harder than the older exams. There's some dumb math questions that can trip you up, but honestly, a week or two with some resources ETS provides is all you really need to perform well.

ETS also provides a service that grades your performance in writing. Take advantage of that. You can easily get a low score if you don't time yourself, and don't end up finishing one of your writing prompts (like me).

But take that advice with a grain of salt. The general GRE isn't all that important, but you certainly want to be in the range for the programs you apply to.

walczyk

Post by walczyk » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:20 pm

I took the PGREs three times, but I didn't take the studying seriously enough the first two times. For the GREs I studied casually for about a week and a half, but not a single quantitative problem. I only studied vocab and qualitative problems, and then the last two days I did essays (should of started that sooner, just do practice essays. It was hard for me, I had to learn to outline.) I got a 165 quant, 164 qualitative, and 4.5 analytical. Percentile wise it was 92%, 93% and 72%, so qualitative was more difficult on average that test I suppose. I took the PGREs in 2010, 2011 and 2012, and got a 720, 820 and 960, or 59%, (i forget this one), and 92%. So my test scores are really consistent, except for my essay (only have to send in one PGRE score). For the last PGRE I studied all the problems fairly rigorously for about 40 days.

asdfuogh

Post by asdfuogh » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:59 pm

I concentrated on studying only for the pGRE, and didn't even realize the GRE was a computer based test until like two days before I had to take it (I took it a week after my pGRE). Ended up with a 162/170/4.5 (v/q/a) so I'd say just remember to breathe before the GRE because it's really not bad if you're not freaking about tests.