How well did you do on real exam compared to practice tests?

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

xbomber88

How well did you do on real exam compared to practice tests?

Post by xbomber88 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:52 pm

Just curious. For those of you who took the practice tests under timed conditions how well did you do on the real test compared to the practice tests? On the practice exams I got a 600 (this was before I started studying), 910, 820, and 890. How well can I expect to do on the real exam? Is it harder or easier to do well or about the same?

grae313

Re: How well did you do on real exam compared to practice tests?

Post by grae313 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:47 pm

I did just a little bit worse on the actual exam than on the last practice test I took (0177) with a week of studying between the two, but basically the same. This question has been asked several times before and in general, people find the practice tests to be basically representative of the actual test in terms of your percentile score.

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:43 am

xbomber88 wrote:Just curious. For those of you who took the practice tests under timed conditions how well did you do on the real test compared to the practice tests?
The best I did on the practice tests was on the 0177 which was around 940 if I recall. The others were as low as 880. But I managed to get a 990 on the actual test (October 2010).

On the practice tests, I had a very strong correlation between tests with easier timing and higher grades. I.e. the 0177 was the only one I had time to finish and take a quick look back at skipped problems. On the actual October 2010 test, I had 40 minutes to go over it and I answered every questions. I felt sure that I had maxed it out. It had very few questions that required difficult calculations.

alemsalem

Post by alemsalem » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:55 am

on the practice tests with practically the same conditions i got 990 990 and 970
on the real test i got 930 i messed up the timing a little and didn't get to finish it, even though it was easier than all the practice tests