if i screw up Oct GRE Physics

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

kkjjll

if i screw up Oct GRE Physics

Post by kkjjll » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:26 am

if i screw it up in Oct, can I redo it in Nov? Would they get the scores for the Nov test?

Knochera

Re: if i screw up Oct GRE Physics

Post by Knochera » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:06 pm

My understanding is that they will send the scores for all of the tests that you have taken. So if you take both the October and November tests, the schools will receive both scores if you request the scores to be sent after November. That being said, if you do well in October and ask for the scores to be sent before you take the November test, then schools will only receive the October scores. As for "can you" redo the tests in November -- yes, you can, assuming you registered for both.

(I'm not 100% certain on this, but I'm pretty sure its how it works)

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:37 pm

you most likely won't know the results of October before the Nov test. you'd have to register for both well beforehand.

wmwolf

Post by wmwolf » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:33 pm

Last year, I signed up for the October test, but as the date got closer, I realized I was underprepared, so I signed up for the November test right before the deadline at a location that was about four hours away from me. I was not happy with my October test results, and improved my score fifty points in the November test. The important thing is that the deadline for the November test is BEFORE the October test even occurs. Also, you won't get your October test results until AFTER you take your November test. This caused me a fair amount of grief, though with the whole online reporting of scores now, perhaps they've sped up the process.

Bottom line: if you have a concern about your performance on the October test, sign up NOW for the November one. If you feel like you nailed the October one after you take it, go ahead and cancel the November one. Reporting two test scores won't hurt your chances, though, as admission committees tend to look at the higher score.

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:23 pm

as others said, if you are not sure that you can ace the october test, go ahead and register for both tests. while you can't know about your score until after november test but you somehow know how well you did. if you were satisfied with your performance at the end of the october test, thats perfect, then you can cancel the november and get partial refund. but if you below it up, you can request the test not to be scored. and if you were not sure of either you will have to keep both scores.