Beiser vs Tipler for Modern Physics?

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

InquilineKea

Beiser vs Tipler for Modern Physics?

Post by InquilineKea » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:44 am

Which one is the best for the Physics GRE? It seems that a lot of people say that the PGRE's problems seem to emulate Beiser's problems, and so they recommend Beiser for modern physics. But Beiser seems to have low ratings on Amazon. Maybe one could do best with Tipler's explanations and Beiser's problems?

And what about Nonclassical Physics (Harris)?

physics_auth

Re: Beiser vs Tipler for Modern Physics?

Post by physics_auth » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:42 pm

InquilineKea wrote:Which one is the best for the Physics GRE? It seems that a lot of people say that the PGRE's problems seem to emulate Beiser's problems, and so they recommend Beiser for modern physics. But Beiser seems to have low ratings on Amazon. Maybe one could do best with Tipler's explanations and Beiser's problems?

And what about Nonclassical Physics (Harris)?

For my preparation for the PGRE exams I read the book-> "Quantum physics of atoms, molecules, solids, nuclei and particles", written by Eisberg & Resnick. Even though this book (over)covers all the necessary stuff for the PGRE test, it is a bit hard to cover its stuff in a small time interval, let alone to absorb (or remember) all this vast reading stuff.

If you have available time, you can follow the forementioned book for your preparation, but try to keep some notes in a separate place for your future revision of the pertinent stuff. Just jot down the most essential things to remember for the PGRE exams.

Another well-written book, which also touches astrophysics, is that of Kenneth Krane -> Modern Physics. Although it may not have high rates in Amazon, from personal experience, I can reassure you that it is very clearly written and its content can be absorbed in a logical time interval, without special effort on the part of the reader.

Last but not least, if you don't prefer reading one page after another about sth, but you just want to refresh some in-limbo knowledge of modern physics, just recourse to the book -> 'Modern Physics' of Shaum's. The main points of modern theory are covered in a highly satisfactory way and almost all problems are highly didactic and appropriate for a PGRE-taker's preparation. Note that this book presents only the essential things about undegraduate modern physics, trancating circumferential details to be found in other more elaborate books.

Good luck
@physics_auth

rachael17

Re: Beiser vs Tipler for Modern Physics?

Post by rachael17 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:19 am

The way I studied was to do practically all the odd 3-star problems in Halliday as well as most of the odd problems in Modern Physics by Beiser.